PDA

View Full Version : Some questions and problems

anthro
09-14-2004, 09:14 PM
Hello everyone,
I have tried to do a dual install with Knoppix and XP but after several tries, it didn't work. I want to create a home directory to put linux files and the such, and there is a program on the cd that will allow me to, however it is not working. It gives me an error. What could be wrong? Also, the dial-up program can't find my modem. How do I fix this? And finally, Knoppix does not recognize my mobile adapter for ethernet card...how can I remedy this?

I would appreciate an email for an answer: nogodsnomasters at hotmail.com

Thank you very much

firebyrd10
09-14-2004, 11:38 PM
If the drive you want to put the home directory on is NTFS then your out of luck, linux doesn't really support writing to NTFS drives.

Also chances are the modem is a winmodem which uses software to do hardware functions. Thats all fine and dandy because it helps make it cheaper. But the drivers don't work on linux.

The last thing you can probably fix but I don't know how.

mzilikazi
09-15-2004, 12:15 AM
Hello everyone,
I have tried to do a dual install with Knoppix and XP but after several tries, it didn't work. I want to create a home directory to put linux files and the such, and there is a program on the cd that will allow me to, however it is not working. It gives me an error. What could be wrong?

You can't save your persistent home to NTFS but you could save it to a USB drive or floppy. ;)

Also, the dial-up program can't find my modem. How do I fix this? And finally, Knoppix does not recognize my mobile adapter for ethernet card...how can I remedy this?

What modem? What mobile adapter? How can someone help if you don't even tell us what hardware you have?

I would appreciate an email for an answer: nogodsnomasters at hotmail.com

Others may email you I dunno ( I won't) but that defeats the purpose of a forum. The forum is to collect answers to questions so that they are available to anyone who might try the SEARCH function (*hint hint*).