PDA

View Full Version : Basic launch annoyance with a Poormans

Arcflup
09-14-2004, 09:49 PM
Newbie Alert!

Hi guys,

I have been checking out Linux on a fairly regular basis over the years and it has never really gotten a grip of me,... until now!

The whole concept of these Live CD's is brilliant. I downloaded 5 or 6 of them over the last week or so and had great fun messing around with them. I particularly like the "Poormans" install method, almost full functionality without having to mess up your hdd, cool.

Anyhow after a little trial and error I have the Linuxtag 3.5 DVD running as a poormans using grub called from winXPs boot loader and very nice it is too. Shame they forgot to put Gimp in there,.. DOH!

Now for my newbie question and apologies in advance as I'm sure the answer must be somewhere on the site but I've not been able to find it in a couple of days trying. My poormans is working great, saving config changes, klik installed apps all ok - the trouble is that on boot up it keeps trying to load the KNOPPIX welcome html file and says that it can't find it. This holds up the launch of all my open programs from last session. When I click on the error message the KNOPPIX welcome html launches TWICE and all my other programs come up behind it. Not a fatal error but bloody annoying all the same, so guys, how do I stop the KNOPPIX welcome file being called at launch?

Cheers,
Arcflup.

CrashedAgain
09-15-2004, 04:40 AM
The file it is trying to load is called index_en.html. You can copy it off the CD to your 'knoppix' file where the poorman's is located so that the poormans can find it. You could also replace it with whatever greeting you wanted as long as you called it index_en.html.
I don't think you can prevent it from looking for this startup file because of the read-only file system.

j.drake
09-15-2004, 05:28 AM
Someone has reported to me that if you delete ~/.kde/Autostart/showindex.desktop from your persistent home, it will keep Konqueror from loading the very file you're apparently missing. I just did it myself, but haven't yet verified that it worked.

jd

firebyrd10
09-15-2004, 12:29 PM
Someone has reported to me that if you delete ~/.kde/Autostart/showindex.desktop from your persistent home, it will keep Konqueror from loading the very file you're apparently missing. I just did it myself, but haven't yet verified that it worked.

jd
I've tried that will live-cd and it didn't work, the file just came back. Chances are it won't work with poorman ether.

Arcflup
09-15-2004, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the suggestion guys but alas it doesn't seem to work.

I've "upgraded" to a poormans running knoppix 3.7 which has cured the missing file error but I still get the index_en file starting up. I also now have Kmix opening at every boot too :)

Never mind I can live with it.

As an aside, and don't forget I'm a newbie, would it not be possible to implement something that makes the KNOPPIX system image file dynamic and writable under a poormans install? Or am I paddling in the shallows on insanity beach here? :lol:

Just a thought,

Cheers,
Arcflup.

j.drake
09-15-2004, 03:11 PM
Try booting without the "fromhd" cheatcode (liveCD, IOW), make the partition writable, and do as you wish. Then reboot with the "fromhd" cheatcode.

jd

Arcflup
09-15-2004, 05:38 PM
Nope, can't seem to get it to work. Never mind I'll put up with it.

I would have done a proper dual boot hdd install but my laptop - Compaq Presario 700 - won't play ball. The Knoppix installer complains that the hdd parameters are wrong and advises to check the bios. Stupid idiot-proof bios has next to no functionality, including reporting what your hdd is!

The only time I ignored the warnings and installed anyway it screwed up one of my ntfs partitions, fortunately not my boot partition, so I am reluctant to have at it again.

I'm sitting here with one eye on eBay watching Dell Latitude PIII 750/850's selling for £300...ish. I'll probably grab one just to run Linux on and have done with the poormans altogether.

Cheers,
David.

firebyrd10
09-15-2004, 10:21 PM
Nope, can't seem to get it to work. Never mind I'll put up with it.

I would have done a proper dual boot hdd install but my laptop - Compaq Presario 700 - won't play ball. The Knoppix installer complains that the hdd parameters are wrong and advises to check the bios. Stupid idiot-proof bios has next to no functionality, including reporting what your hdd is!

The only time I ignored the warnings and installed anyway it screwed up one of my ntfs partitions, fortunately not my boot partition, so I am reluctant to have at it again.

I'm sitting here with one eye on eBay watching Dell Latitude PIII 750/850's selling for £300...ish. I'll probably grab one just to run Linux on and have done with the poormans altogether.

Cheers,
David.

GRUB might be usefull then, it doesn't rely on the hardrive parameters as much.