PDA

View Full Version : can't delete file off of the HD

david0mp
09-14-2004, 11:53 PM
I am trying to delete a file off of my ntfs hd using knoppix off off of cd. But I continually get the error: "Could not delete file /mnt/hda2/WINDOWS/system32/ZoneLabs/vetredir.dll." (that is the correct file I am trying to delete. This happens with any file ntfs or fat32. I can't delete this file in windows either because it says that it is in use.... Can anyone help me?

firebyrd10
09-14-2004, 11:57 PM
I am trying to delete a file off of my ntfs hd using knoppix off off of cd. But I continually get the error: "Could not delete file /mnt/hda2/WINDOWS/system32/ZoneLabs/vetredir.dll." (that is the correct file I am trying to delete. This happens with any file ntfs or fat32. I can't delete this file in windows either because it says that it is in use.... Can anyone help me?

Knoppix by defualt sets all drives to read only. Just right click the hardrive -> actions -> change read/write mode to fix it.

Only problem is linux can't really write to ntfs. You could try the captive NTFS

KNOPPIX menu -> servies(not sure, you may have to look around) -> captive NTFS

Though I've been having problems with it.
You can write to FAT32 just fine however.

BTW, have you trued safe mode command prompt only? (you need to know some basic commands. cd and del)

david0mp
09-15-2004, 12:03 AM
Sadly, I grew up on pre-dos computers and dos computers (and I'm only 18, shesh) but I do know many dos commands. I tried everything I knew how to do in windows but with no luck. I think it is deeply embedded in windows, which is why I am using knoppix.

firebyrd10
09-15-2004, 12:09 AM
Have you heard of bartPE?

Its a live cd version of windows.
Because of which it can write to NTFS.

I use it for defragging because windows isn't running so I can defrag everything.

You'll need some files from your windows cd though.

david0mp
09-15-2004, 12:13 AM
interesting...

Where can I get it from?

j.drake
09-15-2004, 12:14 AM
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

jd

firebyrd10
09-15-2004, 01:25 AM
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

jd
Doh, I was editing my post to include the address and closed the window before hitting send. Thinking that I had.