PDA

View Full Version : Sound Card Problems - SoundMax Cadenza (Intel 810)

innerspace
09-15-2004, 04:03 AM
Hello everyone,

I'm a newbie when it comes to Linux. I've fiddled around with Red Hat a few times, but I've barely scratched the surface. My knowledge of the command line is pretty weak. So...

I'm running knoppix 3.6 (kernel v. 2.4.xx) from a cd on the following system:

P4 2.53GHz
Intel D845PEBT2 MOBO
512MB DDR333
SoundMax Cadenza Audio Chipset (Intel810)

On initial boot, I could run xmms and play an mp3. The file would play, but there would be no sound. So I rebooted and entered the following arguments at the command-line:
"knoppix alsa" to boot with alsa drivers.

post msg's indicate the card is an Intel810 AC97 (which is correct, I believe)

I then opened up the KDE Control Center to change the drivers to ALSA.

After hitting "Apply" I recieved the following error:

"Sound server informational message:
Error while initializing the sound driver:
device: default can't be opened for playback (No such file or directory)
The sound server will continue, using the null output device."

A friend attempted to help me today, and we got close, the modules were installed, but we needed to reboot, and thats where things get even more complicated.

The system hosting my knoppix install is a Windows XP Pro system with three hard-disks, all containing NTFS partitions. I realize knoppix cannot write to NTFS Partitions, and that Capture NTFS will allow knoppix to utilize the .ntfs drivers residing in my XPPro install. So I ran Capture NTFS to try and create a Persistent KNOPPIX Home Directory on my harddrive. A minute or two into the scan, Capture NTFS closes with no message.

So I save my KNOPPIX config file to a floppy, hoping it'll read the configuration at the next boot, and log out anyway. I log back in, only to find the log file for that GAIM session is now gone (there goes my free advice) and that the soundcard still won't make a noise. Also, xmms no longer will play the mp3, it now throws an error up immediately.

So I reboot with the floppy containing my config file, and it launches with the default config.

I reboot again, trying the cmd-line arguments knoppix myconfig... and point it towards the floppy drive (i think), and that didn't work.

I'm at a loss here, and I really want to get above water with Linux.

Can someone help guide me through this??

It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Jason

innerspace
09-15-2004, 08:15 PM
Have tried evrything, am now interested in the possibilty of this:

edit rc.local
modprobe snd-intel8x0
insmod snd-intel8x0

then adding rc.local to myconfig before saving myconfig to a floppy

then reboot using this cmd:

knoppix floppyconf (or floppyconfig) home=scan

to load myconfig (including edited rc.local) from floppy and use Persistent Home Directory (2GIGS, vfat, formatted for linux filesystem) for boot.

This sounds great in theory, but I'm really not skilled enough to pull this off on my own.

HELP!