PDA

View Full Version : ultra newbie question!!!! how do I move the windows?

truefate
09-15-2004, 09:00 AM
i just downloaded and burnt the knoppix cd and booted it up. the most frustraiting thing I found is that I cant find a way to move the windows!!! sometimes they appear in a spot that makes it difficult to read the entire screen or click buttons. I have tried the instinctive "hold the left button and move the window" but that dosent work and i cant seem to find an option in the tool bar. I thought I had some computer skills...but now I feel like a total twit!!!! please some one give me the answer to this question so I can get on with feeling compleatly stupid

chris-harry
09-15-2004, 09:24 AM
ok... what thing are you using... (knotice the techniquellity side of everyone :D)... for example... um... XFree, IceBox...
I had a very simmular problem, when i didnt have a swap partion and not enough ram... it would go into a thing called "File Manager" setting (i forgot the name so its something like that). anyway. the screens would appear off the screen, or they wouldnt appear at first until i clicked the mouse...

truefate
09-15-2004, 02:21 PM
again I am a newbie, not sure which I am running....just running the knoppix boot disk (the newest version i think, downloaded it yesterday) how do I know what I am running?....windows has me brianwashed :cry:
I also seem to have a problem with my keyboard.... it stops working after a few min. are these buggs?

j.drake
09-15-2004, 03:06 PM
It's just like Windows - you left click and hold up near the top and move your mouse.

jd

metavoid
09-15-2004, 03:41 PM
Ok. You download the knoppix 3.6 iso and created a cdrom. Right?
So you are running kde.

Normally you would move windows as you do in ms-windows by grabbing the caption bar.

But I recall something about booting knop 3.6 on a system and there were no captions
and everything was a bit fussy.
It turned out that it didnt know the gfx card and was running vga or something.

try using a cheatcode.

when you just inserted the cd and it shows the first screen with knoppix logo type

knoppix xmodule=vesa (hit enter)

And tell me if you can move the windows then.

Also, once booted run the kpersonalizer program and tell it you want it to act like windows as
the default setup can be a bit funky if you are used to MS.

Cuddles
09-15-2004, 03:50 PM
again I am a newbie, not sure which I am running....just running the knoppix boot disk (the newest version i think, downloaded it yesterday) how do I know what I am running?....windows has me brianwashed :cry:
Chances are, you are running KDE, for your desktop manager, and to find out what version you are running - this is going to get a little "technical", but with a "sprinkle" of easy, so, you click on the small monitor icon that runs along the bottom of your screen, the first icon on the left is the "KMenu" ( like the "Start" in Windows ), as you "hover" your mouse over the icon, it will tell you what it is called, start from the far left, and move across each icon, going from left to right, until you either find the icon that looks like a small "Computer Monitor", or it says "Konsole", or "Terminal Program" as its help...

Once you click on that icon, you will be in a Konsole window, kind of like a DOS prompt window, in Windows - here you can enter command line commands, this is called the CLI, or Command Line Interface - at your prompt, type the following:

uname -r
This is what version you are running - mine reports "2.6.6" - which is actually Knoppix v3.4, with kernel 2.6.6 running...

I also seem to have a problem with my keyboard.... it stops working after a few min. are these buggs?
Hardware problems can usually be diagnosed, I have used a "cheap" standard keyboard and mouse, all the way up to a Microsoft Natural keyboard and a Microsoft Internet Wheel Mouse, and they have worked perfectly...

What kind of keyboard and mouse do you have, and how do they connect to the system?

Keyboards and Mice can connect one of three ways...
( 1 ) Keyboard to BIG DIN connector, Mouse to a BABY DIN...( DIN connectors are round, a BIG DIN have five pins in the connector, and a BABY DIN has three )
( 2 ) Keyboard and Mouse as USB connectors... ( a USB connector is FLAT, maybe about 1/8 of an inch high, and about 1/2 inch wide )
( 3 ) Lastly, is a combination of number ( 2 ) - Daisey Chanined - where your Mouse connector is a USB connector that plugs into your Keyboard, and then your Keyboard is also a USB connector that then plugs into the computer.

If you have either # ( 2 ) or # ( 3 ) - you might try the # ( 1 ) method, USB is a little "finicky" in Linux ( sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't ) -=- It has been found that if you are using the USB method for your mouse or keyboard, changing them to using the "standard" method, usually fixes the problems...

Hope this helps,
Ms. Cuddles

truefate
09-15-2004, 04:07 PM
well i am running 3.6 on kernel version 2.4.27 and it is a ps2 keyboard form my old e-machine. I tried metavoids suggestion with no luck.. I typed as you said and still the same problem. I had already set it to act like M$ windows with no luck either. I have an FX 5200 video card (nvida) 396 (or something close to that) of ram and a 400mhz celeron (dont laugh)
my keyboard may have been loose cause it works ok now...ill keep you posted on that.... not to add another problem but i have no sound also

truefate
09-15-2004, 04:18 PM
hmmm sound card not supported...that answers that

Cuddles
09-15-2004, 04:30 PM
well i am running 3.6 on kernel version 2.4.27 and it is a ps2 keyboard form my old e-machine. I tried metavoids suggestion with no luck.. I typed as you said and still the same problem. I had already set it to act like M$ windows with no luck either. I have an FX 5200 video card (nvida) 396 (or something close to that) of ram and a 400mhz celeron (dont laugh)
my keyboard may have been loose cause it works ok now...ill keep you posted on that.... not to add another problem but i have no sound also
Not familiar with the newer Knoppix version, as I said, I am running v3.4...

As a side note, I wouldn't laugh, I have an older 233 MHz system, also a Celeron, so, laughing would be at me, not you - Linux is very good with the "older" systems, its the new stuff it has a hard time with, sometimes...

The command I gave you, the "uname -r" command, was just to get the version you are running, it doesn't change anything... I can't speak about the M$ setting, or the version you are running, never ran it, and haven't seen it... BUT...

If you want to know anything about your system, or what Knoppix has found out about your system, you need to look at the "Info Center" program... You can find it ( usually ) by following these menus: KMenu -> System -> Info Center ( hopefully its still the same in your version ) -=- When the Info Center opens up, you will be looking at a familiar "Windows Like" Explorer window, with the subjects to the left pane, and explanations and devices on the right pane - you might look at your "Sound" to see what it is doing, you might look at your "PCI" to see what devices were detected on the PCI bus, hmmmm...

If the Info Center isn't of any help, you can always go into the "Control Center", found by going KMenu -> Settings -> Control Center -=- and see what your sound is set to, you may also find something that is not permitting you to move a screen. ( not sure though )

Ms. Cuddles

truefate
09-16-2004, 02:35 AM
ok .....screw it, I just boted up the 3.4 version and seem to be free of the window problem I guess 3.6 is just not going to work for me

OErjan
09-16-2004, 05:16 PM
why would i laugh?? i have it running on my P100 with 74M ram.
knoppix works on a HUGE number of diferent models...