PDA

View Full Version : WLAN pcmcia RTL8180 running with Knoppix 3.2 !

dl5raz
09-15-2004, 09:06 AM
WLAN pcmcia RTL8180 running with Knoppix 3.2 !
(must be Kernel 2.4.20!!)

download driver from:
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloads1-3.aspx?Keyword=rtl8180

1.unzip to Desktop
2. insatllpath=/home/knoppix/Desktop/inst
3. make (als root)
4. make install
5. chmod 755 wlanup
6. edit file wlanup e.g.
....ssid=fli4l
.....channel=4
7 ./wlanup ap (ap for access point, see other param in file!)

wlan connection running!

anotherulrich
09-15-2004, 08:30 PM
That is EXACTLY what I need! However, you can not imagine just how dumb some of us are that read this - take me as an example...

Could you describe in more detail how to do this, please?

Here's what I did - and w/o success...

Used a CD with Knoppix 3.2 with kernel 2.4.20 - xfs...no idea what the suffix means but looks like this could be OK.

1. Driver downloaded & unzipped on Desktop

2. I believe there's a typo and you meant 'installpath...' - do I have to key that into the root shell already? That's what I did....no response...guess that's OK

3. If I type 'make' into the root shell, I get an error - I use the German version and it says something like 'no target specified...file not found'

4. If I type 'make install' into the root shell, I get another error...something about 'no rules'

5. Do I have to type that into root shell as well?

6. What is meant by 'e.g.'? I know what for instance means...but do I use what you have specified or do I use something else...how do I know what to use?

7. 'wlanup' looks like a command but what's the './' in front of it? Type that into root shell as well? And what's the program where I can look up other parameters?

I would really appreciate if you could just spent another few minutes and write down a somewhat more detailed description - guys like me won't get it otherwise...Thanks a lot!

Ulrich

OErjan
09-16-2004, 04:56 PM
you have to be in that folder to be able to run these comands, open the terminal and use cd to go there (cd /home/knoppix/Desktop/inst).
with that done you can run the first two comands as yourself (installpath=/home/knoppix/Desktop/inst, make)
only the 5-7 need root as far as i know

as far as I know you need not be root to run make. but might be something very special in this case (no idea what though), try without being root and see.

anotherulrich
09-16-2004, 09:25 PM
I'm afraid it still doesn't work...strange thing with the installpath - the directory actually doesn't exist: There's no 'inst' on my desktop hence, I cannot change to it.

And still, I cannot use just 'make' - get the same error...

Any idea?

Ulrich