PDA

View Full Version : grub.conf on dual boot knoppix/centos-3 on presario 2105us

phaedral
09-15-2004, 01:06 PM
Installed knx3.6 with lilo in partition

Installed centos-3 (an rhe rebuild) with grub in mbr

Grub sees both, but grub conf had to be diddled to see knx kernel and initrd.img

Grub indeed starts the knx boot, but quits with a kernel panic suggesting on stdout:

Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel

Here's the relevant bit from grub.conf:

title knoppix
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.27 ro root=/dev/hda1 nolapic acpi=on nodma init=5
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.4.27

That line for the kernel is a composite of an earlier answer about cheatcodes for knx3.6 on my laptop and a howto on dualbooting multiple linux distros. I'm guessing the trouble is the syntax on "init=5" but can't figure out where else to look. Many thanks!

mzilikazi
09-15-2004, 09:36 PM
Now I have neither a rhe or Knoppix install so I've no idea what kernel they use. init=5 is not even necessary. You can remove it.

If you installed Knoppix to /dev/hda2 then root=/dev/hda2
GRUB sees things differently. (hd0,1) = /dev/hda2

I would probably try this in GRUB.

title Knoppix
kernel (hd0,1)/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.27 root=/dev/hda2 nolapic acpi=on nodma ro vga=791
initrd (hd0,1)/boot/initrd.img-2.4.27
savedefault

vga=791 is not required but it gets you the framebuffer device.

phaedral
09-15-2004, 10:06 PM

ARRRGHHHHH!

(hd0,0) = /dev/hda1; knew it, but apparently not well enough to catch my thumb-fingered TYPO!

So, thanks a million; I am now the proud owner of a knoppix 3.6/centos-3 presario 2105us, and a belly full of humble pie.

I've seen reference to framebuffer and laptops, but have no clue, really what it's all about. Is there a good how-to or some such I should be looking at? One of the reasons I'm so hot for knoppix on this machine is several days of effort trying and failing to get X running on a straigh debian install. Knoppix autodetects and things work fine for me (although I've never tried running a dvd...)

Again, thanks bunches.

mzilikazi
09-15-2004, 11:15 PM

ARRRGHHHHH!

(hd0,0) = /dev/hda1; knew it, but apparently not well enough to catch my thumb-fingered TYPO!

w00t! Glad you got it working. :)

So, thanks a million; I am now the proud owner of a knoppix 3.6/centos-3 presario 2105us, and a belly full of humble pie.

It's great to be full. I eat humble pie daily. Apparently I like it.

I've seen reference to framebuffer and laptops, but have no clue, really what it's all about. Is there a good how-to or some such I should be looking at?

Framebuffers run on desktops too. Maybe these links are of some use to you.:

http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/Framebuffer-HOWTO.html
http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/Framebuffer-HOWTO-5.html

One of the reasons I'm so hot for knoppix on this machine is several days of effort trying and failing to get X running on a straigh debian install.

FYI You can use the XF86Config-4 file from Knoppix and simply put it in /etc/X11 on your Debian install. ;)

Knoppix autodetects and things work fine for me (although I've never tried running a dvd...)

You'll need libdvdcss for decryption.

wget http://download.videolan.org/pub/libdvdcss/1.2.8/deb/libdvdcss2_1.2.8-1_i386.deb
dpkg -i libdvdcss2_1.2.8-1_i386.deb

Again, thanks bunches.
De nada hombre'

phaedral
09-15-2004, 11:46 PM
Maybe these links are of some use to you
I will indeed check 'em out; thanks!

FYI You can use the XF86Config-4 file from Knoppix and simply put it in /etc/X11 on your Debian install
Boot from the knoppix disc, then grab the running config file, then try that when booted from debian; I think I tried this. It's been a couple of months since giving up on that project.

The real dilemma I face is the classic "convenience v. control." As an example, the debian install, from the lordsutch mini-iso, worked really well for me, it was my first introduction to apt-get and dselect and I found I like those much better than rpm. But knoppix is so tricked out that I can't even install perl-doc, and not for lack of trying and following suggestions.

Ultimately I've gone with knoppix because it does a better job with my hardware; rh won't give me sound and I've never looked into making it do so. As you may have guessed, my skill level is above "average user" and below "basic sysad," a very frustrating place to be.

I just discovered the knx3.6 install didn't give me an ssh server. Maybe I shouldn't have taken the default option. I'll probably take a shot with using knoppix-installer with the "debian" option...but will that screw the pooch with regards to X? So many choices, so many ways to go wrong. ;)

mzilikazi
09-16-2004, 12:19 AM
I'll probably take a shot with using knoppix-installer with the "debian" option...but will that screw the pooch with regards to X? So many choices, so many ways to go wrong. ;)

Definitely you'll want to use the Debian option. I see no reason to believe that any pooch screwing will occur with regards to X.

phaedral
09-16-2004, 02:18 AM
I'll probably take a shot with using knoppix-installer with the "debian" option...but will that screw the pooch with regards to X? So many choices, so many ways to go wrong. ;)

Definitely you'll want to use the Debian option. I see no reason to believe that any pooch screwing will occur with regards to X.
Right as rain. And I poked into ./knofig so ssh starts at boot. Strange as it may sound, I use this laptop mostly as a webserver, do most of my work on it via cygwin ssh from my winDoze machine. Don't tell anyone...

Anyway, it's all good, and now I can proceed to put my web-dev environment back in order AND (once it's backed up) do all the rche exercises. Thanks again for all the help.