PDA

View Full Version : running from CD - win98

chrisblack
09-16-2004, 03:33 PM
I'm a total newbie to linux - I burned knoppix (3.4) - 'cos I wanted to try out a linux based OS and it says it runs from CD - so I assume that if the knoppix cd isn't in the cdrom, then my pc will just boot into windows98.

Before I go ahead and boot from cd - is this correct, or does knoppix actually write to the HD, thus stopping me from running win98??

Thanks

Chris

UnderScore
09-16-2004, 04:29 PM
We have plenty of documentation & help available on this site. I believe your question is answered in "FaqGeneral".
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/

- FaqGeneral - Who, what, why etc.
- FaqDownloading - Downloading and burning Knoppix
- FaqBooting --- FAQ about the Knoppix booting process.
- FaqUsing - Using Knoppix
- FaqHardware - Hardware support and autodetection. The use of CheatCodes.
- FaqUSBBased - FAQ about booting from an USB Flash Memory.
- FaqInstall - FAQ about installing Knoppix on Hard disk
- FaqRescue - Using Knoppix as a rescue disk (filesystems supported: httpNTFS ?)
- FaqNetwork - Network and dialup configuration (ETH, ISDN, ADSL, etc...)
- FaqPXE - How to use the network boot feature (network terminal server) on Knoppix.
- FaqSambaQuick - Sharing your files via the Microsoft Windows Networking (SMB) protocol
- FaqFTP - How to setup FTP/ssh from the Knoppix CD
- FaqNewQuestions - Add new questions, answers or move them to the real FAQs
- FaqError - Error messages
- FaqCustomising - Customising Knoppix by remastering
- FaqKnoppixEmu - How to run Knoppix in an x86 emulation environment

OErjan
09-16-2004, 05:19 PM
should work fine. and yes when you remove CD it wil not have left anything you have not alowed to be left (like if you ave created a persistent home or a swapfile...)

moustache
09-16-2004, 07:12 PM
Don't worry chrisblack! Have some faith in humanity.
Knoppix wont touch your hard drive or your windows installation.
However, it might touch your computing soul (provided you have your boot priorities straight in the CMOS) giving you operating system freedom like you have never felt before!

So, download the .iso image, burn it with your favorite windows cd-burning software, and boot it ( set boot priority 1-floppy, 2-cdrom, 3-hard drive), push enter, sit back and be amazed with internet access, free open office software, and utilities galore.

Moustache

firebyrd10
09-16-2004, 11:04 PM
Be sure to burn it as an image though.

Kowood
09-17-2004, 01:08 AM
What yr talking about is called a "fromhd Poor Man's Install" or PMI for short, I think. Look for that under the HDD install section of documents.

oscar
09-17-2004, 05:35 AM
Before I go ahead and boot from cd - is this correct, or does knoppix actually write to the HD, thus stopping me from running win98??

Chris

It is correct, knoppix does not write to the HD, actually knoppix will run without HD in the computer.

eculbert2
09-18-2004, 05:40 PM
A couple points:

1. IT must be burned as an iso image. Somewhere in your cdrom burning software there is a

Make image
pr
Burn iso image

or some such. That is what you must burn it as..not a data file, been there done that

UNSUCCESSFULLY!

PMI is simple, but when run from that partition, it will NOT allow writing to that partition, but will any other 'linux nativer' partitions.

boot: tohd=/dev/hhaX where x is the partition nunber

then next time to use that partition image

boot: fromhd=scan

and it will find it usually IF you didn't hide it in a folder inside the partition.