PDA

View Full Version : Terminalserver works fine from CD but not from HDD

gerald.ortner
09-16-2004, 04:25 PM
I had the problem with the terminalserver. It worked fine from CD but not from HDD.

I found out, that the computer with the terminalserver needs the IP address 192.168.0.1, ohterwise the server makes problems and you will find the NFS failure.

Hope it helps

Gerald Ortner

Who knows how different users can login to the terminalserver? Roaming profiles would be fine to work.

dosboss
12-30-2005, 05:25 PM
This is interesting, as I am having a problem getting the "toram" option working with knoppix-terminalserver in Knoppix 4.0.2 CD. The clients were hanging after trying to mount the /cdrom directory, and asking for the path (and since I have USB keyboards on all of them - no more PS/2 ports on newer models - there was no way to type in a path).

I traced it back to the NFS server denying mounting of the /cdrom directory. I have tried several things, including flushing iptables, changing/deleting the rules in hosts.deny and hosts.allow, changing options in the /etc/exports file, and changing premissions on the exported directories themselves. All I ever get on the client end (tested by booting with KNOPPIX 4.0.2 CD and trying to mount the dir via NFS) is "Permission denied by server". And of course there is very little output on the NFS server side of it, so debugging this is very frustrating.

I will give this method a try, as I was using a 10.0.0.x IP range before.

EDIT: I tried using the IP 192.168.0.1 to no avail. Also another hack I read somewhere here was to put "any nameserver IP at all" into the /etc/resolv.conf file, that didn't work either. I also tried copying the contents of the CD to the /cdrom directory after booting with "toram", but that didn't work either, and there already was a complete copy of it in the dir anyway. I am now convinced the problem lies in the way the /cdrom dir is mounted when in "toram" mode as opposed to the pure CD boot. Next I get the chance I am going to try creating another dir, coppying the CD to it, exporting it, and if I can NFS mount it on another machine, I will modify the PXE boot conf to look for that dir instead. I was hoping to have this work without making my own KNOPPIX CD, but oh well.