PDA

View Full Version : installing and deleting SWAP on MSDOS

patrick
12-20-2002, 03:49 PM
I am at my school's computer and was going to run Knoppix. It said there is not enough memory to run KDE (it only has 32Mb). There was a dialog box that says you can install a temporary swap file on the MSDOS hardrive (dev/hda1/ i think) How would I go about deleting this file when I am finished? I need to do it from Knopper, and not Windows. (Because Windows is not working, thats why I am using Knoppix. Any ideas?

Dave_Bechtel
12-21-2002, 08:36 AM
--As root, when you're ready to shutdown, issue:
' swapon -s ' == Get status of swapfiles and partitions
' swapoff /mnt/c/knoppix.swp ' == Or whatever the filename is that it's using

' swapon -s ' == Make sure it's not using the swapfile anymore
' /bin/rm /mnt/c/knoppix.swp ' == Remove the swapfile from drive C (or wherever it was located)

' halt ' == Shutdown.

I am at my school's computer and was going to run Knoppix. It said there is not enough memory to run KDE (it only has 32Mb). There was a dialog box that says you can install a temporary swap file on the MSDOS hardrive (dev/hda1/ i think) How would I go about deleting this file when I am finished? I need to do it from Knopper, and not Windows. (Because Windows is not working, thats why I am using Knoppix. Any ideas?

eric
12-21-2002, 04:27 PM
if you use a swap file on the c drive, does it damage/overwrite data that is already on there? i'm kind of new to this whole linux thing. i would like to be able to try and run knoppix 3.1 on my old ibm thinkpad with 24mb of ram.

eric

Dave_Bechtel
12-22-2002, 01:16 AM
--No, it shouldn't be harmful at all unless you mistype an ' rm ' command. Use ' mc ' to delete files and you'll be fine.

if you use a swap file on the c drive, does it damage/overwrite data that is already on there? i'm kind of new to this whole linux thing. i would like to be able to try and run knoppix 3.1 on my old ibm thinkpad with 24mb of ram.

eric