PDA

View Full Version : KNOPPIX V3.2-2003-03-21b-EN released

eadz
03-23-2003, 05:14 AM
A "b" EN version was released, to correct the fact that the EN version started KDE in german. That is the only change I am aware of.

tooaru
03-23-2003, 06:03 AM
I'm using this version right now and i've noticed that OpenOffice.org is still not in English.

And also, this version seems to load a bit slower than the previous version.(Not sure though but my cd-rom seems to have trouble accessing it as quickly as the german version that was released before this one.

Mainly there should be a fix for the OpenOffice.org application not being in English.

garyng
03-23-2003, 07:57 AM
Same experience here, it is noticeably slower than the german(cebit) image

seasleepy
03-23-2003, 09:07 AM
I didn't download the first one so I can't compare the startup time, but I'll confirm that OpenOffice.org is still in German on this version. Not a massive problem for me personally since I don't normally do much with it, but it would be nice to have it in English if I wanted to do any word processing. ;)

brianpward
03-23-2003, 01:03 PM
Yes OpenOfifice is still in German and even changing the language from the Open Office option menu does not fix the problem. Any body know how to change the language options in OO so it will stay?

MichielioZ
03-23-2003, 01:52 PM
Only option I know of, is to install to your HDD (or remaster the CD) and add the English language to OO...
I guess the English file just hasn't been downloaded by Klaus...

Civil Eng
03-23-2003, 04:18 PM
OpenOffice isn't the only app that's not quite right in Knoppix 3.2, k3b worked fine for me under 3.1, now it seems to be unable to detect either of my cd-rw drives.... :evil:

*sigh* I think I'm just going to stick to 3.1 until I see posts that state that all's well in 3.2.

I've never been a fan of RW cds, but I think I may just have to go buy a bunch... I've got four coasters here, and two at the office that tell me linux OS on cd, baaaaad idea. Linux OS on REWRITABLE, Good idea!

lol.... Hopefully Klaus doesn't think we're all down on him, like he said: the man needs some sleep, and if you read this Klaus, German OO or no, you are the KING!

:arrow: Please tell me when you've fixed it! :lol:

But take your time! You deserve a break, and besides; You did such a fantastic job on 3.1, we can all wait patiently; and with a little luck, politely!

MattT
03-23-2003, 06:13 PM
Civil Eng

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I hd installed 3.2 and it can't detect my CDRW and my CD. I get "not a block device" error when I try to mount. Anyone know what's going on? I've never had a problem like this before and I know it's not a hardware problem because I just used my CDRW in another distro.

Civil Eng
03-24-2003, 12:24 AM
Yeah, I've gone ahead and hd installed 3.1 to get my Debian enviro, and I'm going to keep carrying around Knoppix 3.1 on CD, with 3.2 to show off; but the 3.1 is what I'll actually use.

With Klaus it seems to be a matter of time. I guess he believes in the "Release early, release often" mentality of Linus....

With time, I'm sure it'll be perfected. Besides, it may be a problem with k3b, after all; it is a different version than it was in Knoppix 3.1

Cheers!

MichielioZ
03-24-2003, 12:52 AM
If anybody wants to know : Klaus is uploading a new "experimental" release to some mirrors right now...
Changelog is as follows :
* V3.2-2003-03-23 (Experimental release)
- KDE 3.1.1 from Debian/unstable
- XFree 4.3
- Language bugfixes for english version
- Autosetup and online-help updates for OpenOffice
- ptrace security fix for kernel 2.4.20
- Blackdown Java-RE 1.4.1 update

Maybe the next "non-experimental" release will be the stable 3.1.1 ??
Anyways, thought some people may want to know this.... 8)