PDA

View Full Version : cheatcode: home=xxx

wslkevin
09-17-2004, 10:02 AM
Could someone explain how to use the cheatcode "home=xxx"?

There are three type of "home=xxx":

1. home=scan
Will it scan type 2 and type 3?

2. home=/dev/hda1/knoppix.img
Is that the file knoppix.img will be stored under C:\ (suppose C:\ is /dev/hda)? If /dev/hda1 is NTFS format, will this cheatcode also Okey? Or the partition /dev/hda1 must be vfat or ext2?

3. home=/dev/hda1
Will Knoppix use the entire partition /dev/hda1 as the home directory? If so, will the files be stored under /dev/hda1 without compression? What format of the partition /dev/hda1 will it support? Does it support NTFS?

Thanks very much for your help. Maybe it is a stupid question, but I really want to know and need your help.

eco2geek
09-17-2004, 11:25 AM
1. home=scan

Yes, as well as vfat and reiserfs (and fat too, I think).

Is that the file knoppix.img will be stored under C:\ (suppose C:\ is /dev/hda)?

Yes, as long as C: isn't formatted as NTFS. You could stick it in folder C:\abc\xyz and specify "home=/hda1/abc/xyz/knoppix.img". Or you could save it on your USB thumbdrive and specify "home=/dev/sda1" or "home=/dev/sda1/knoppix.img".

If /dev/hda1 is NTFS format, will this cheatcode also Okey? Or the partition /dev/hda1 must be vfat or ext2?

No, you can't load a persistent home from NTFS. vfat, ext2, ext3, and reiserfs are fine (probably fat, too).

3. home=/dev/hda1
Will Knoppix use the entire partition /dev/hda1 as the home directory?

Yes.

If so, will the files be stored under /dev/hda1 without compression?

Yes.

What format of the partition /dev/hda1 will it support? Does it support NTFS?

This is a guess: It most likely has to be a Linux-native file system, like ext2 or ext3 or reiserfs. (How could it use vfat when vfat has no way to store permission and symlink data, for example?) No, it doesn't support NTFS.

(Common thread here: Knoppix will not save a persistent home loopback image on, or read a persistent home image from, NTFS.)

Play with it! You'll see what does and doesn't work.

wslkevin
09-18-2004, 08:29 PM
Thank you very much for your kindly reply.

Because my notebook doesn't have a floppy and CD-Rom, I am waiting for the solution of booting up KNOPPIX from ISO-image by using GRUB. That's why I can't test it by myself.

I have one more question on the persistent home loopback image KNOPPIX.img. What's the format of the file KNOPPIX.img? Is it possible to extract files from it by using WinImage or explore2fs under MS Windows?

Thank you very much in advance.

firebyrd10
09-18-2004, 09:17 PM
Thank you very much for your kindly reply.

Because my notebook doesn't have a floppy and CD-Rom, I am waiting for the solution of booting up KNOPPIX from ISO-image by using GRUB. That's why I can't test it by myself.

I have one more question on the persistent home loopback image KNOPPIX.img. What's the format of the file KNOPPIX.img? Is it possible to extract files from it by using WinImage or explore2fs under MS Windows?

Thank you very much in advance.
Knoppix.img is ext2 formated. But you would have to mount it somehow to view it with explore2fs

eco2geek
09-18-2004, 09:38 PM
The explore2fs web site has a pretty good explanation of how to create a file and format it as ext2 (http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/ex2fsfile.htm), which is evidently what Knoppix does.

If you've got it on a USB thumbdrive or similar, all you have to do is File | Open it with explore2fs.

AFAIK WinImage doesn't "understand" ext2 and won't open it.

firebyrd10
09-19-2004, 01:00 AM
The explore2fs web site has a pretty good explanation of how to create a file and format it as ext2 (http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/ex2fsfile.htm), which is evidently what Knoppix does.

If you've got it on a USB thumbdrive or similar, all you have to do is File | Open it with explore2fs.

AFAIK WinImage doesn't "understand" ext2 and won't open it.

It can open images?

Alright, I could find that options (Not that I looked that hard ether)

wslkevin
09-19-2004, 05:20 AM
Thank you, firebyrd10 and eco2geek.
Now I have a clear mind about the cheatcode home=xxx, and I do't need to worry about it will mess up my system or "kill" my partition any more.

patelbhavesh
09-22-2004, 10:32 PM

Maybe this might help in this situation

Check it out on
http://unit.aist.go.jp/it/knoppix/win/index-en.html

----------------------------------------------------------------
Free Software,Free Speech ,Free Society
http://bhavesh.freeshell.org
------------------------------------------------------------------

CrashedAgain
09-23-2004, 01:45 AM
1. home=scan

Yes, as well as vfat and reiserfs (and fat too, I think).

Is that the file knoppix.img will be stored under C:\ (suppose C:\ is /dev/hda)?

Yes, as long as C: isn't formatted as NTFS. You could stick it in folder C:\abc\xyz and specify "home=/hda1/abc/xyz/knoppix.img". Or you could save it on your USB thumbdrive and specify "home=/dev/sda1" or "home=/dev/sda1/knoppix.img".

If /dev/hda1 is NTFS format, will this cheatcode also Okey? Or the partition /dev/hda1 must be vfat or ext2?

No, you can't load a persistent home from NTFS. vfat, ext2, ext3, and reiserfs are fine (probably fat, too).

3. home=/dev/hda1
Will Knoppix use the entire partition /dev/hda1 as the home directory?

Yes.

If so, will the files be stored under /dev/hda1 without compression?

Yes.

What format of the partition /dev/hda1 will it support? Does it support NTFS?

This is a guess: It most likely has to be a Linux-native file system, like ext2 or ext3 or reiserfs. (How could it use vfat when vfat has no way to store permission and symlink data, for example?) No, it doesn't support NTFS.

(Common thread here: Knoppix will not save a persistent home loopback image on, or read a persistent home image from, NTFS.)

Play with it! You'll see what does and doesn't work.

This is not entirely correct. The 'home=" bootcode doesn't create a persistent home, it only tells knoppix where to look for one. The persistent home is always a file 'knoppix.img' (maybe not if it is using the entire directory) and it is created by running the configuration script while running knoppix, at that time you can specify whether to use the whole directory or just a part of it and how big you want it to be.
You can put a persistent home on a vfat partition, knoppix protests a bit because it doesn't think vfat is a reliable enough format but then it goes ahead & mounts the PH on a loopback device & it works OK.
If you are using a toHD (poormans) install you cannot put the persistent home on the same partiton as the toHD install is on.