PDA

View Full Version : How to check if AGPGART is compiled in the kernel

garyng
03-23-2003, 08:12 AM
My display driver(i815) requires that for any high resolution display according to the XFree86 guys. I can only use the VESA driver at 640x480 without that.

abp
03-23-2003, 03:10 PM
To check if APGGART is compiled into kernel look in the config file found in /boot:

As root try:

grep AGP /boot/config-2.4.20-xfs
it then returns:
CONFIG_AGP=m
CONFIG_AGP_INTEL=y
CONFIG_AGP_I810=y
CONFIG_AGP_VIA=y
CONFIG_AGP_AMD=y
CONFIG_AGP_AMD_8151=y
CONFIG_AGP_SIS=y
CONFIG_AGP_ALI=y
CONFIG_AGP_SWORKS=y
The above tells you that the kernel has AGP support but only as a module (m).

:wink:

garyng
03-23-2003, 03:42 PM
Thanks. But I cannot find the file i810.o under lib/modules/kernel/video and if I let KNOPPIX to start XFree86 using i810 driver, it said fail to allocate memory and mention the file i810.o.

Does that means Klaus forgot to include the necessary module ?

abp
03-23-2003, 03:52 PM
/lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs/kernel/drivers/char/drm/i810.o

Are you sure it is the driver you need?

garyng
03-23-2003, 04:16 PM
Thanks, found it but it still failed miserably. I am sure about the chipset(i815) and the auto detect also found it and use the i810 module of the XFree86. But it give me an error message of "cannot allocate memory" and a long list but before I have the time to read them, it switch to the graphic mode and hangs there. I need to remove the power supply to gain back control.

abp
03-23-2003, 04:54 PM
Use 'knoppix 2'

garyng
03-23-2003, 05:01 PM
I can either use xmodule=vesa or 2(to get the text prompt). However, this make the machine quite usless as the 640x480(vesa) display is just too difficult to use, many website just don't show properly.

I have tried 'knoppix 2' and check to load the agpgart and i810 module manually and they load without any error. However, if I then startx, the machine hang which again needs the removal of power to gain back control.

a lot of thanks for the help anyway.

abp
03-23-2003, 05:23 PM
What if you use the noagp option?

And when you run failsafe it still hangs?

What happens when you use the fb options instead?

garyng
03-23-2003, 05:29 PM
failsafe is fine as it would automatically use VESA driver(that is how I find out how to make the X work). I tried noagp, it failed. I also tried the fbdev, still failed.

abp
03-23-2003, 05:57 PM
On mine failsafe starts up in 1024x768

I found this:
http://www.kalamazoolinux.org/pipermail/hardware/2002-December/000278.html

It indicates that you should use the 800x600 or else X hangs. (screen=800x600)

garyng
03-23-2003, 06:21 PM
I am making progress :)

The problem is in the XF86Config-4. Obviously the default setting for the monitor is incorrect. I used expert mode and get in to it and test around and finally can have 1024x768 working. This is the first message I typed from KNOPPIX, the previous ones are all from XP. I still get the error message of unable load i810.o and lsmod shows that it is not there. But I can get the high resolution mode running, strange.

Still need to experiment around.

thanks for the time and effort for helping me out to solve the problem. This XFree86 stuff has a far way to go if Linux wants to have a role on the desktop competing with Microsoft, especially the notebook front(which is the fastest growing segment).

Will report back.

abp
03-23-2003, 06:45 PM
You're welcome.

Your module problem could be caused by another module blocking it.

You're right about XFree, but it is developing fast :D

Good luck :wink:

garyng
03-24-2003, 09:28 AM
Finally have everything come up nicely :D

The sample XF86Config KNOPPIX used to generate the working copy is just not suitable for notebook LCD(at least not for mine). After I grab and change the MODELINE entries, I have a fully functioning X/KDE and the error code also mysteriously gone.

Now, need to move on to find out how to save the configuration and later how to boot from HD :wink:

aay
03-24-2003, 07:07 PM
This XFree86 stuff has a far way to go if Linux wants to have a role on the desktop competing with Microsoft, especially the notebook front(which is the fastest growing segment).

Perhaps in terms of ease of setup, but in terms of functionality MS is the one who needs to catch up. The remote display capabilities of X are just great.

garyng
03-24-2003, 07:59 PM
Microsoft also has remote desktop which even though may not be as clean as X, still is very useful. I know someone who is not a computer literate using the MSN(or is it netmeeting) that he remotely repair her mother's PC running ME.

And the most important is, for average user, if they cannot install the program with just a few clicks, it means it will be in the trash can.

This XFree86 stuff has a far way to go if Linux wants to have a role on the desktop competing with Microsoft, especially the notebook front(which is the fastest growing segment).

Perhaps in terms of ease of setup, but in terms of functionality MS is the one who needs to catch up. The remote display capabilities of X are just great.

massd
04-03-2003, 05:44 PM
I am getting the same "allocate memory" error on boot. But I see slightly different issues. First off, its a Dell Optiplex GX110 tower.

X loads, but it seems unstable. One way to lock up the entire system is as follows: Load control center, go into themes and then wallpaper. When I select the dragdown for the file to use... FREEZE....

Could you post how you addressed this problem in a bit more detail? My X config tweaking is REALLY rusty.

garyng
04-03-2003, 05:55 PM
My problem related to the Monitor section that KNOPPIX generated. It selects a hsync range way to high for my LCD monitor and the modeline is also incorrect. After google one that is known to work on similar machine, problem solved.

google is your friend, what is the video card of your setup ?

massd
04-03-2003, 06:06 PM
Its an i810.....

The monitor can handle 72Hz at 1024x768.....

massd
04-03-2003, 10:29 PM
Through many trials, tribulations and many versions of the XF86Config file, the blasted thing is working without any errors.

From trial and error, the failure seems as if it was coming from the amount of memory that was being allocated and not the monitor settings. Its set to 4 meg right now, and its working quite nicely....

rickenbacherus
04-03-2003, 11:24 PM

Perhaps, but does m$ work on RISC - nope how about PowerPC- nope how about Alpha- nope in fact nothing but Intel platforms. XFree86 works on them all- in fact it even works on windows! It is not easy to make software that is so versatile. But of course if XFree doesn't work for you then you can always get a complete refund of all the money it cost you right? ;)