PDA

View Full Version : Just installed, need some help.

Harami
09-17-2004, 03:30 PM
I had a friends computer who wouldn't boot, so someone on IRC had suggested using knoppix to boot into the system and recover some very important files. I have been a windows user all my life so this is my first experience with linux. I have two problems: one, when I try burning CDs, it keeps giving me the same errors about the buffer, even when burning at 1x. Other times it gives me a general error.

#2, as a direct result from 1, how can I access my USB thumb drive on Knoppix. Being unfamiliar with the interface, I can only see the floppy and my main harddrive partition. Where would I go to access the USB drive?

Thanks,

Hamid.

jordan
09-17-2004, 06:37 PM
I had a friends computer who wouldn't boot, so someone on IRC had suggested using knoppix to boot into the system and recover some very important files. I have been a windows user all my life so this is my first experience with linux. I have two problems: one, when I try burning CDs, it keeps giving me the same errors about the buffer, even when burning at 1x. Other times it gives me a general error.

#2, as a direct result from 1, how can I access my USB thumb drive on Knoppix. Being unfamiliar with the interface, I can only see the floppy and my main harddrive partition. Where would I go to access the USB drive?

Thanks,

Hamid.

jordan
09-17-2004, 06:44 PM
Same exact problems - Please someone help - I have some very important files that i need to recover ASAP, THANKS!!

Thanks,

Hamid.

Harami
09-17-2004, 07:41 PM
Do you have to have the CD all the time when you want to run the operating system, or can I remove it to burn the cd? If thats the case, then I might as well install it onto the harddrive and burn the cd then reformat into a windows operating system, as the computer is not mine. I could also setup an ftp on Knoppix and upload the files there. Anyone have any ideas regarding that?

firebyrd10
09-17-2004, 11:53 PM
Knoppix is set up to add an icon to the desktop when you plug in a USB thumbdrive (Or any usb storage device).

What program are yo useing to burn? ALso how fragmented is your hardrive, you might want to do a defrag.

Otherwise I can't see any reason why you would get a buffer underrun at 1x

jordan
09-18-2004, 01:35 AM
Hi Firebyrd-
I read your reply about what Knoppix is set up to do - but it does not do anything when I plug in my USB storage device. I have tried two different devices and nothing - they both work in my other machine (Windows OS)

What must I do so it is recognized - I really need some help on this!!

Jordan

firebyrd10
09-18-2004, 02:48 AM
Hi Firebyrd-
I read your reply about what Knoppix is set up to do - but it does not do anything when I plug in my USB storage device. I have tried two different devices and nothing - they both work in my other machine (Windows OS)

What must I do so it is recognized - I really need some help on this!!

Jordan

Do you get any lsmod erroes on start up?

Try typing knoppix testcd at the boot prompt and see what comes up. Also what type of Drive is it? When I plug mine in, knoppix pops up and icon on to my desktop.

jordan
09-18-2004, 03:09 AM
Hi Firebyrd -

When it comes to Windows, I'm pretty good - but with Knoppix it really is foreign to me - even the instructions you've described.

I finally got the Knoppix e-mail program working so I am e-mailing myself those files as attachments - it's the long way around, but it is working. I can re-format my drive after I've finished recovering my files and start my machine from scratch.

I appreciate your time and efforts!!
Have a good night - (I'm in the Eastern U.S.)
Jordan