PDA

View Full Version : lilo trouble

braveapachebr
09-18-2004, 12:28 AM
Hello everybody!
Well.... i think i made a big mess here...
I have windows xp on my system...
I also had installed gis knoppix distro...
When trying to install my graphics card at linux the system crashed and i lost even my swap...
Before reinstalling linux i use Partition magic in windows to recreate the swap...
After that i could reinstall linux....
During the instalation i reinstalled the lilo too (it was ok before the crash), but after the reinstall the windows partition had disapeared from the lilo boot options...
The most strange is that in linux i can see the windows partition...
Windows now is ``hdc1`` and Linux ``hdc5``.
I tried to change the lilo.conf, but it does not accept my changes as valid parttions...
Please, help me....

firebyrd10
09-18-2004, 02:54 AM
Hello everybody!
Well.... i think i made a big mess here...
I have windows xp on my system...
I also had installed gis knoppix distro...
When trying to install my graphics card at linux the system crashed and i lost even my swap...
Before reinstalling linux i use Partition magic in windows to recreate the swap...
After that i could reinstall linux....
During the instalation i reinstalled the lilo too (it was ok before the crash), but after the reinstall the windows partition had disapeared from the lilo boot options...
The most strange is that in linux i can see the windows partition...
Windows now is ``hdc1`` and Linux ``hdc5``.
I tried to change the lilo.conf, but it does not accept my changes as valid parttions...
Please, help me....

Hmm, I'm not the best at lilo. If it were me, id uninstall lilo and install grub.

But your not me so its up to you. I'm sure someone here is knowledgable with lilo

shah
09-18-2004, 03:46 AM
Most important thing is where you install your xp. Usually xp is installed in first partition of first hdd (hda1). Is it true you install your xp on third partition of your third hdd (hdc1)? May be your partition table has corrupt.

Boot with knoppix cdrom and see how knoppix see all your partition. Is it differ from booting from hd.

Try fix xp first only if you are sure xp is in hda1, this will remove your lilo(if installed in mbr). Boot using xp installation cd and choose recovery console. Then type fixmbr first and reboot. If Xp can boot, than its okay. If it can't start the procedure again and type fixboot and reboot.

You can reinstall lilo or grub after everything is okay..
:D