PDA

View Full Version : Question about hardware detection

sharkn
09-18-2004, 04:57 AM
I recently loaded Knoppix off the CD and I have been impressed so far.

I was having problems with the detection of my integrated sound card (Via AC97 codec). It turned out that the system detected a usb webcam with microphone that I have connected and thought it was a soundcard (and of course failed to get it to work). One I unplugged the webcam device, it properly detected my ac97 on-board sound.

So is there a way to allow knoppix to find multiple sound devices so I can have my webcam connected (and make use of it in knoppix).

Thanks for the help!

Cuddles
09-18-2004, 04:23 PM
Sharkn,

I am going to take a guess we have "closely" related hardware here... I have a VIA motherboard mounted sound card, with the AC97 codec, and I have a Webcam, from Logitech, has the microphone on it as well, using the USB -=- Never connected it to knoppix as of this time, though...

Not sure on this, but, have you tried to plug in the USB WebCam after you booted with it unplugged ?

My thinking is that Knoppix has auto-detected you have USB, and thus, may have enabled HotPlug service, thinking that you might plug in a USB device, at a later time, after it has booted. ( just a thought )

The best thing, of course, is to have Knoppix installed, to the hard drive, without the WebCam installed, then plug it in after it has installed, and then configure it, then it wont be re-auto-detecting each boot... But, you shouldn't have to install it to get this to work, nor should you have to "constantly" boot with it unplugged and plug it in after you boot ( pain in the rump, stuff )...

Sorry I can't help anymore than this, I did a hard drive install, myself, and still haven't worried about my WebCam at this time... maybe someone else is using the CD and has a "same situation" as you do...

Ms. Cuddles