PDA

View Full Version : Router config woes

nishtya
09-18-2004, 11:07 PM
This problem occurs in both windows and Linux (kanotix, mepis, take your pick) in both MSIE under windows and mozilla in windows and linux. I cannot bring up the router configuration utility in the browser. I type in the ip address in the instructions and it always times out. It must be something simple but I am a networking newbie. For what it's worth, everything is working fine without configuring but hey, I should be able to get to the utility. It is a linksys 4 port cable/dsl router, NOT wireless. Help appreciated.

mzilikazi
09-19-2004, 02:10 AM
Can you pingthe router i.p. provided in the instructions? If not Try to find the router on your network with nmap. For example:

# ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:08:C7:77:54:93
inet addr:192.168.254.2

So with this range of i.p. address in mind we might try something like this:

# nmap 192.168.254.*

Starting nmap 3.55 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2004-09-18 19:08 M
Host 192.168.254.0 seems to be a subnet broadcast address (returned 1 extr
s). Still scanning it due to ping response from its own IP.
Interesting ports on 192.168.254.0:
(The 1658 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
PORT STATE SERVICE
80/tcp filtered http
515/tcp filtered printer
MAC Address: 00:C0:02:CD:40:8E (Sercomm)

Interesting ports on 192.168.254.2:
(The 1653 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
PORT STATE SERVICE
9/tcp open discard
13/tcp open daytime
22/tcp open ssh
23/tcp open telnet
37/tcp open time
538/tcp open gdomap
631/tcp open ipp

Interesting ports on 192.168.254.254:
PORT STATE SERVICE
80/tcp filtered http
515/tcp filtered printer

Host 192.168.254.255 seems to be a subnet broadcast address (returned 1 ex
ngs). Still scanning it due to ping response from its own IP.
Interesting ports on 192.168.254.255:
PORT STATE SERVICE
80/tcp filtered http
515/tcp filtered printer

Nmap run completed -- 256 IP addresses (4 hosts up) scanned in 23.141 seconds

The router is 192.168.254.254

shah
09-19-2004, 02:58 AM
Things for you to look at:
0) To configure, best is only your pc connected to router. Pull out other pc cable connected to that router.
1) your cat5 cable, where it should go. From nic, it should go to num 1...4, from dsl/cable should go to wan. Try using different cable.
2) led on your router(link/act), if well connected from nic and router the led should turn green or continous lit.
3) nic, is it detected, the light is on. See at the back of nic.
4) check your browser not to use proxy. Clear all cache. Never dial a connection is set if you use IE.
5) The default ip is : 192.168.1.1 unless been changed by someone. If changed or you don't know, you can reset it to default factory. There should be a reset button. Sometimes you need to switch off and on after you did this.

Harry Kuhman
09-19-2004, 04:45 PM
... For what it's worth, everything is working fine without configuring .....
If by this you mean that you have network access to the Internet and to other machines on your network (if any), then this certainly is very strange. As already suggested, try to ping the router at 198.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 (I forget which it is for Linksys, but the third number will match your IP address). If you can't ping it (and I don't expect you can), then I too think your address has been changed in the router. Either that or the router has got itself into a very strange state. You could reset the router, but it would be interesting (and educational) to sniff the cable and see what addresses are on packets coming from the router (there wil be address resolution packets every few minutes that you should be able to see and pick out the linksys's ip address from). You don't need a hub or anyting fancy to do this; just boot knoppix and run ethereal (you might have to do it with a su command or as root rather than from the menu; it used to work from the menu but stopped a number of releases ago; I don't know if that's ever been fixed). Once you determine the router's IP address, try that in your browser. And try to figure out who made the change!

Of course, if the address is still as expected then it may be time to reset the linksys. But also be sure you're typing the address properly.

nishtya
09-19-2004, 07:46 PM
pinging was fine either way from either machine to the router. It was the config page that just wouldn't load. winipcfg did show the gateway address as properly 192.168.1.1. and appropriate IPs for the two machines. Anyway I did a reset of router and upgraded it's firmware for the heck of it and I can get the config page to load with moz under linux. But on either machine though windows (IE & Moz) still isn't working. After half an hour I will get malformed html, some garbage about mtu and something expired in Dec of 1969 :?:

If it works for linux, that's enough and proves it isn't the router at fault anyhow. There is probably some garbage in the windows registry from when I was using proxies, etc on dialup. Not going to worry about it for now but now I am trying to network (share files) between the two puters. Off to make another post. :wink: