PDA

View Full Version : Heeelp I have downloadet the free version of knoppix

yaguar35
09-19-2004, 12:51 AM
I have downloadet the free version of knoppix and burned on a cd and nothing is happen, when I click on it it opens easy cd creator. What is happen? I have windows xp and pentium 4 pc. What I did wrong? Why it say`s! knoppix easy cd creator image? What means thath? Thanks for your help, yaguar35 :?

firebyrd10
09-19-2004, 12:57 AM
I have downloadet the free version of knoppix and burned on a cd and nothing is happen, when I click on it it opens easy cd creator. What is happen? I have windows xp and pentium 4 pc. What I did wrong? Why it say`s! knoppix easy cd creator image? What means thath? Thanks for your help, yaguar35 :?

Make sure you burn it as an image (or ISO) Should be an option to burn a disk image.

yaguar35
09-19-2004, 01:06 AM
oh my goodness, that`s why, i made a normal data cd, and have deleted the file on my pc, now I have to download the whole file again, ooops, i amd a greenhorn in this, never did this befor, thanks for your fast responce. Ilana, :( yaguar35

firebyrd10
09-19-2004, 01:21 AM
oh my goodness, that`s why, i made a normal data cd, and have deleted the file on my pc, now I have to download the whole file again, ooops, i amd a greenhorn in this, never did this befor, thanks for your fast responce. Ilana, :( yaguar35

If you still have the cd you can just copy it off of that.

(BTW its not just you, lots of people have/had this problem. :wink: )

yaguar35
09-19-2004, 08:18 PM
Hi finally I could finished the right burning as an cd image, but now windows xp tells me, it cannot open the file, I guess i give up, I don`t no what to do now. I guess i distroyed now two cd`s. Pleeease help. Ilana.

firebyrd10
09-19-2004, 09:18 PM
When you downloaded there should have been a file the ends with .md5 of the same name.

Download it in the same directory as the iso then run verify on this program.

If there is an error then something is wrong with the file and you need to redownload.

http://md5summer.org/

j.drake
09-19-2004, 09:25 PM
Hi finally I could finished the right burning as an cd image, but now windows xp tells me, it cannot open the file, I guess i give up, I don`t no what to do now. I guess i distroyed now two cd`s. Pleeease help. Ilana.

Windows XP shouldn't be trying to open it. You need to boot from the CD. IOW, put the CD in, and restart, and Knoppix loads from the CD. You may need to change your BIOS settings if your computer is not set up to boot from CD. By the time Windows XP loads, it's too late to boot.

jd

firebyrd10
09-19-2004, 09:34 PM

Windows XP shouldn't be trying to open it. You need to boot from the CD. IOW, put the CD in, and restart, and Knoppix loads from the CD. You may need to change your BIOS settings if your computer is not set up to boot from CD. By the time Windows XP loads, it's too late to boot.

jd

I really have to read each post twice now, yet again I misunderstood. :roll:

yaguar35
09-19-2004, 09:42 PM
Hi, I can only download the file who ends with iso, but all the others who end with md5 is only opening a script without downloading.
and only 3.4 lets me download, the first one in the list, all the others is only a script, I don`t no why?
To click on the link you put for me in there on this one?

http://md5summer.org/

also I don`t no what is: BIOS??? aND HOW TO CHANGE? I don`t understand much with computers, am a greenhorn. And right, I have downloadet probably the wrong file but the other file are only text. thanks again, Ilana.

yaguar35
09-20-2004, 01:00 AM
Hi here am again. I did everything like it should be done, I have redownloadet the whole file, and now the newest one, I also have downloadet what you sent in your link to me, I have again burned it to the cd, as iso image, but always win xp try`s to open it and my pc is now full with errors`,. I don`t want to mass up my pc, yesterday he broke down and to day it was a long time impossible to turn him on, he even turned for seconds the light of in my room and than he shut down from alone. I have windos xp home edition, I have also lcd monitor, so all what i did and tried it will not work. So here i need really help, that someone really can explain me exactly what to do and what not to do, cause i want to try knoppix.

firebyrd10
09-20-2004, 01:51 AM
Ok after you burn the .iso as a disk image
put the disk back in the drive (If it is ejected) and restart.

When booting you used see a screen that has the words press F2 to enter setup (It won't be that exact wording and might not be F2 but you should know it when you see it.) depending on your BIOS you need to go to advanced or Boot order. From there changed it so that CD is after floppy but before harddrive
Ex:

1. Floppy
2. CD-Rom
3. Harddrive

Save the settings and let the computer reboot. Knoppix should start up, just hit enter when you see the screen.

Windows shouldn't be trying to open anything.

j.drake
09-20-2004, 02:56 AM
he even turned for seconds the light of in my room and than he shut down from alone

Umm, . . . , unless you have some kind of X10 control, I don't think your computer did that. . . .

jd

yaguar35
09-20-2004, 03:34 PM
Hi firebird10, I have searched around in the internet and found out that from win xp home edition and a new pentium4 pc I can`t boot iso disc from cd-rom drive, and there I also couldn`t find any soloution, I would have to need win 98 fro to do this, but i will not mass up my pc more then I did already. all what you said i did, it didn`t workes, maybe when someone who knows linux and knoppix would be here on my pc and try to figure out could possibly find a solotion. Am kind disapointed, cause i wanted to try the knoppix. :(

chrisnsav
09-20-2004, 04:06 PM
yaguar35 I'm in the same boat as you.... my question to add to this is exactly what should the knoppix cd contain after burning(files???)?

Brack
09-20-2004, 05:00 PM
Hi firebird10, I have searched around in the internet and found out that from win xp home edition and a new pentium4 pc I can`t boot iso disc from cd-rom drive

Seems like complete nonsense to me. Where did you find that kind of info?

I would have to need win 98 fro to do this, but i will not mass up my pc more then I did already.

I hope this doesn't sound too harsh, but what do you expect from Knoppix? I fear you wouldn't enjoy it too much after your posts in this thread.

all what you said i did, it didn`t workes, maybe when someone who knows linux and knoppix would be here on my pc and try to figure out could possibly find a solotion. Am kind disapointed, cause i wanted to try the knoppix. :(

Knoppix is an Operating System (OS). As is Windows. It's started when you switch on your PC. As default on your PC that's Windows. It boots off your hard-drive. You need to change the BIOS settings so that the PC first tries to boot off the CD drive (with the Knoppix CD inserted of course). How to change that should be in the documentation of your motherboard.

firebyrd10
09-21-2004, 01:48 AM
yaguar35 I'm in the same boat as you.... my question to add to this is exactly what should the knoppix cd contain after burning(files???)?

You should see a folder called boot, and KNOPPIX

Otherwise you did something wrong.