PDA

View Full Version : Programs needed for compiling

firebyrd10
09-19-2004, 03:21 AM
I've posted this here because it really has nothing to do with knoppix, but what programs are needed for general compiling. Mainly c/c++. (is there a web site that has all this info for other languages also?)

I tried downloading programs that looked right but I didn't get the result I wanted. I couldn't get rid of them so i'm now just writting back the images I made (A lifesaver, this is a 3rd time, really helpful when I play aorund with debian).

I'll come back and post what I have(programs) when this is done.

Thanks

firebyrd10
09-19-2004, 04:08 AM
OK a fresh install comes with 5 programs in the devel folder of kpackage

gcc-3.3-base
gdb
libbonobo2-common
libgnomevfs2-common
pkg-config

I don't see anything there that would help me.

tearinghairout
09-19-2004, 05:53 AM
The programs you need are called compilers, and the standard one for doing C and C++ on Linux is called gcc. Knoppix comes with this so you shouldn't need to download or install anything else.

If you want to do software development in some other language, then you may need to install something else, depending on what language you have in mind. But since Knoppix comes with so many programming languages already, I would be surprised if you needed to do this.

firebyrd10
09-19-2004, 07:05 AM
opps, forgot to mention i'm not useing knoppix.

I did look through knoppix's devel folder but was overwhelmed plus most of the programs look out of date.

Last time I tried apt getting gcc and that just screwed things up.

I then noticed there was a gcc-3.4, gcc-3.3, gcc-3.2

SO which should I download, and what about g++?

tearinghairout
09-19-2004, 08:19 AM
What are you using?

If you are using any sort of Linux distribution then I would be very surprised if you didn't already have C/C++.

firebyrd10
09-19-2004, 08:36 AM
What are you using?

If you are using any sort of Linux distribution then I would be very surprised if you didn't already have C/C++.

Its debians netinstall. Sarge

Yes I was surprised also, I went to compile something and ./configure gave me an error about no compiling tools.

Brack
09-20-2004, 04:48 PM
Yes I was surprised also, I went to compile something and ./configure gave me an error about no compiling tools.

You should give more information ;)

What does configure print exactly (only the relevant lines where it complains)? And it's also probably interesting what it was you tried to compile.

Here is a small table of the packages that are necessary to build a software I'm involved in:
https://www.desy.de/~strauch/computing/notebook/development.html

It's rather specific to our install script. Stuff like ssh or zsh are not necessary for general compiling but are just used in the build script ;)
But the rest could be helpful...