PDA

View Full Version : SSH - fish, sftp - will settle for anything

nishtya
09-19-2004, 08:15 PM
I have two computers. Cable modem. Router. Everything connects to internet fine. Now I am trying to get them to talk to each other, well at least be able to pluck files from one to other. I have assured ssh running on both machines. I have been trying ssh myusername@192.168.1.whateverforwhichevermachine. Likewise tried sftp and fish:// in konqueror. I am never rewarded with a password request. Just times out.

I use guarddog as frontend to configure iptables. There is no sftp protocol that I can find (yes, I am blind practically) where am I going wrong? It seems like it is blocked but I don't where to unblock it.

Help appreciated - I just want to be able to stop running up and down stairs with disks. Thanks much 8)

mzilikazi
09-19-2004, 10:24 PM
1) Turn off your software firewalls.

2) Can each box ping each of the other boxes on your network?

3) ps aux|grep sshd (on each box)

4) Have you configured ssh keys on each box? Easiest way:

$ wget http://kanotix.com/files/fix-ssh.sh
$ chmod +x fix-ssh.sh
# ./fix-ssh.sh

nishtya
09-19-2004, 11:43 PM
ping does not work. But if I shutoff my firewall what is the purpose of it? I might as well use windows. Sad but at least with it I can block outsiders and have a network. I don't think it is right to shut off the firewall. There should be a way to allow this protocol or user without shutting off protection

nishtya
09-20-2004, 01:14 AM
yeah hokey pokey and turned myself around. And I still can't network two little puters in linux. Badabingbadabanbadaboom and it is done in windows. But since I don't have any files in windows worth a damn to share between the two puters it is useless. Windows cannot see the linux partitions so there will be no sharing the linux files on the two.

All I want to do is that fishing thing. I have ssh going, I allowed ping in guarddog and I can ping between the two until the cows come home. Still couldn't fish. I uninstalled the firewall for goodness sake. No joy.

But the worst thing? I actually read man pages for iptables. You want to know hell? It is man pages in iptables. :cry:

Problem is sftp is apparently a figment of someone's imagination. The protocol doesn't exist to allow (or you would think vice versa) no, I am not kidding. Somewhere along the line of all my linux installs I remember seeing some remote share option that I always shut OFF. Now I can't find the bloody thing.....please help?

mzilikazi
09-20-2004, 05:20 AM
ping does not work. But if I shutoff my firewall what is the purpose of it?

nishtya you need to simplify your life. Turning off the software firewall lets you rule out one more potential snag in the overall networking picture. After you get simple networking established between your machines then you can restart your software firewall. Keep it simple! :) BTW you ARE already behind a hardware firewall.

OK according to your next post you can now ping between the two boxes. Good. Did you confirm that you have sshd running?

ps aux|grep ssh

OK if that's running did you set up ssh keys as I previously posted?

Oh and I already know that it's easy (and insecure) to set up file sharing in windows. You're trying to set up ssh which is Secure SHell. Note the emphasis on security. :roll:

nishtya
09-20-2004, 11:41 AM
gone fishing :o

but, I don't know what I did different this time. Even without firewall I couldn't get ssh or fish (is fish using ssh or sftp? - I can't get a handle on sftp) so I reinstalled the firewall. This time it works. Go figure - maybe it was the reboot. Or, I am not sure if I had ssh allowed locally on both before - just internet. So many places to look for things!

I am starting ssh in runlevel 5 on both boxes but it seems to not be working on one, I have to start it manually. Sorting through that. And how to make sure it is secure. I had run kano's script when I installed but ran again to be sure. Is there some way to make ssh only for one machine to another, not allow it from elsewhere? (I wouldn't care to login in from outside - the machines are shut off when I am out anyway). I am more secure in windows because I understand it better though it is inherently less secure (does that make sense?). If I live to be 100 I will never be proficient in linux, when I read man pages it is like greek to me.

mzilikazi
09-20-2004, 12:12 PM
gone fishing :o

but, I don't know what I did different this time. Even without firewall I couldn't get ssh or fish (is fish using ssh or sftp? - I can't get a handle on sftp) so I reinstalled the firewall. This time it works. Go figure - maybe it was the reboot. Or, I am not sure if I had ssh allowed locally on both before - just internet. So many places to look for things!

fish is a virtual file system usable only through Konqueror and mc (AFAIK).

I am starting ssh in runlevel 5 on both boxes but it seems to not be working on one, I have to start it manually. Sorting through that.

To start a service on boot:

update-rc.d ssh defaults
To stop a service from starting:

update-rc.d -f ssh remove

And how to make sure it is secure.

Start with a good passphrase. You may want to look here (http://openssh.org/) for more info on ssh.

I had run kano's script when I installed but ran again to be sure. Is there some way to make ssh only for one machine to another, not allow it from elsewhere? (I wouldn't care to login in from outside - the machines are shut off when I am out anyway).

If a box does not run the sshd then it is impossible to ssh into that box. Keep in mind that you will *never* be able to ssh into any of your LAN boxes from the outside unless you forward port 22 to a specific i.p. address on your LAN. The same is true of a web server or ftp server etc. You would first need to tell your router to allow access on port 22 then forward port 22 to the i.p. of the box you want to ssh into from the outside.

I am more secure in windows because I understand it better though it is inherently less secure (does that make sense?). If I live to be 100 I will never be proficient in linux, when I read man pages it is like greek to me.

Indeed man pages can be a nightmare but you have already gotten your network up and running! Congrats :)

nishtya
09-20-2004, 12:24 PM
oh DARN! I spoke too soon. Not working both ways. Only one way, the other I am getting this (it was working last night, really it was)

"@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@@
@ WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED! @
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@@
IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOMEONE IS DOING SOMETHING NASTY!
Someone could be eavesdropping on you right now (man-in-the-middle attack)!
It is also possible that the RSA host key has just been changed.
The fingerprint for the RSA key sent by the remote host is
(I have cut this out).
Please contact your system administrator.
Add correct host key in /home/nishtya/.ssh/known_hosts to get rid of this message.
Offending key in /home/nishtya/.ssh/known_hosts:1
RSA host key for 192.168.1.100 has changed and you have requested strict checking.
Host key verification failed"

alright, what have I done?

mzilikazi
09-20-2004, 01:51 PM
alright, what have I done?

SImple. You changed your hostkey. :) Just do as it tells you and put the correct key in /home/nishtya/.ssh/known_hosts.
Of course since you're only on your home LAN you could always just nuke /home/nishtya/.ssh/known_hosts. ;) When you log in again the file will be recreated. That's just a workaround to make things simple. By no means is it *good* advice allthough it does work.

nishtya
09-20-2004, 03:23 PM
didn't change my host key. At least, I don't know how to change my host key :( Mz, I have one of my folks here at work trying to help me understand the key biz too and I have become hopelessly lost.

This is the setup:
one computer downstairs (main one - it generally has all the files I want on it) it has two linux distros and windows (don't care about windows files).

one computer upstairs (usually needs files that are on downstairs puter) runs only 1 linux distro and windows.

Last night I could have sworn I had either linuxes downstairs and the one upstairs merrily sshing each other (maybe, I am old senile blind and gimpy :roll: )This morning although I could get into the upstairs box from downstairs box when I tried it the other way I got this error. And it generally will be that way that I need to get files from the downstairs computer onto the one upstairs while I am upstairs

Now if I have to delete some key file or whatnot on the one machine every time I want to ssh into it from the other it sort of defeats the purpose and I am back to running up and down the stairs, no? Or can I keep the same key through reboots (if I only use one linux maybe on that downstairs puter?) My coworker says I could do something with a static IP but it is getting to be a bit beyond my level of expertise (none) :cry:

mzilikazi
09-20-2004, 06:27 PM
Now if I have to delete some key file or whatnot on the one machine every time I want to ssh into it from the other it sort of defeats the purpose and I am back to running up and down the stairs, no? Or can I keep the same key through reboots (if I only use one linux maybe on that downstairs puter?) My coworker says I could do something with a static IP but it is getting to be a bit beyond my level of expertise (none) :cry:

Heheh no you do not need to do that every time. You apparently re-ran the fix-ssh script which overwrote your ssh key. Now when you try to log in ssh does what it was meant to do. It tells you that something has changed (and it has).

ssh keeps a list of known hosts (/home/nishtya/.ssh/known_hosts). If a known hosts tries to connect again it references /home/nishtya/.ssh/known_hosts.

So you can basically start from scratch like so:

On each box do: rm -rf /home/nishtya/.ssh/known_hosts

Then ssh nistya@192.168.1.blah and it will creat a new known_hosts file.

nishtya
09-22-2004, 12:20 AM
it's possible. What is even weirder is though behind a router, I woke up this morning and these two machines had two different IP addresses from the night before :shock:

Afraid all this work is moot though, tonight or tomorrow morning I have to do a fresh install. I lost printer. This is the first time I haven't been able to repair it. It has happened before here and there through updates. I even did a whole dist upgrade in the hopes of getting it back but nada. I backed up my data and here I go again. This has to be the most singularly aggravating thing about linux. Something that was fine goes poof after some upgrade. And you're screwed. :cry:

mzilikazi
09-22-2004, 03:39 AM
it's possible. What is even weirder is though behind a router, I woke up this morning and these two machines had two different IP addresses from the night before :shock:

Afraid all this work is moot though, tonight or tomorrow morning I have to do a fresh install. I lost printer. This is the first time I haven't been able to repair it. It has happened before here and there through updates. I even did a whole dist upgrade in the hopes of getting it back but nada. I backed up my data and here I go again. This has to be the most singularly aggravating thing about linux. Something that was fine goes poof after some upgrade. And you're screwed. :cry:

Dunno what to tell ya except that I have a box that started with woody back in 2002 and has been upgraded to sarge and never reinstalled. It works flawlessly.

Maybe give the upgrades a rest? You really only need to upgrade if a package needs a security fix or if it has a new functionality that you want/need. That's why Debian comes in multiple flavors. :)

nishtya
09-22-2004, 07:24 PM
It isn't like I do upgrades for the sheer thrill of it :P generally I want a newer version of some proggie I like and it brings in the whole enchilida of dependencies (think KDE here). I usually go for the update if something I use has an annoying glitch (again, think KDE here) or there is new functionality. Then you get into the whole chicken&egg thing or is it shoe & nail :?:

I held onto BH4 for ages in unstable debian terms (2-3months 8) ) but finally gave in for something or another. If it wasn't for my fondness of KDE apps I probably could make do with far fewer upgrades.