PDA

View Full Version : Help, after reboot (HD install) wireless card not working

NML
09-20-2004, 04:09 AM
I am very new to Linux so please be patient with me. I have a Dell laptop that I did a HD install on and everything went well. I configured my wireless nic and was able to surf the net until I rebooted. During boot up I saw that the card settings were being applied but once I logged in the card was I guess disabled. When I went to try and reconfigure the wireless nic it was not available. It was nic 0 nic 1 is the built in nic. I reinstalled and had the same results. Befor the reboot when I tried to configure the NIC I would get a choice between eth0 and eth1. 0 is the wireless PCMCIA nic and 1 is the built in nic.

FYI I have 128 bit encryption enabled.

I have looked around and do not see where the NIC info is being read from during boot up.

Any guidance would be appricated. Thanks

pstoddard
09-20-2004, 12:11 PM
I had sortof the same thing happen, my NIC is a Linksys WPC11 vs 3. For some reason when I installed the Knoppix version of the HDD install it did the same thing but when I installed using the Like Debian option my Card works fine.

Which install did you do and what brand and type is your card.

NML
09-20-2004, 01:35 PM
I did the sudo Knoppix-installer each time.

My NIC is a CISCO Aironet 350 PCMCIA Wireless LAN Adapter.

pstoddard
09-21-2004, 01:12 PM
When you do knoppix-installer and configure your installation it will ask you what type of install do you want to do and gives you three options to choose from. If you use the Debian option (the last one on the list) it should take care of the problem at least it did for me.

NML
09-21-2004, 03:53 PM
Ok, I see what you are talking about. I will give it a try, I was using the top choice.

NML
09-22-2004, 06:01 PM
I am making some progress, at least I think I am. I installed using the Debian install but now I am unable to get the Wireless card to talk to my network. this is odd, during the boot up process the NIC lights are blinking and when I log in to the desktop the lights are still blinking for a few min then go off. both the NIC and wireless config wizards are aware of the NIC.

The boot up process is so fast I can't see if there are any errors or problems.

Any ideas?

chopperman
03-31-2005, 12:19 AM
I am making some progress, at least I think I am. I installed using the Debian install but now I am unable to get the Wireless card to talk to my network. this is odd, during the boot up process the NIC lights are blinking and when I log in to the desktop the lights are still blinking for a few min then go off. both the NIC and wireless config wizards are aware of the NIC.

The boot up process is so fast I can't see if there are any errors or problems.

Any ideas?

Just to let you know, I am having the exact same problem with a cisco 340 pcmcia on a presario 2100

I have fiddled with iwconfig, ifconfig, etc.

I can see the AP. and wavemon says everything is correct and bits are flying. But there seems to be some confusion on the systems part about the difference between eth0 and wifi0. In other words I can configure eth0 exactly as if it were the card and it behaves just like the wifi card...except none of the apps can get connected to the net. I can do the same things with wifi0 *except* I cant manually config IP addresses and such.

bump. any info would be helpful