PDA

View Full Version : Trying to recover data, need help please

craigw79
09-20-2004, 05:28 AM
I am using knoppix to try and recover data from an NTFS Win XP. First of all is that even possible with Knoppix? If so, how? Knoppix is not finding my HD's which run in raid 0. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks....

firebyrd10
09-21-2004, 01:26 AM
I am using knoppix to try and recover data from an NTFS Win XP. First of all is that even possible with Knoppix? If so, how? Knoppix is not finding my HD's which run in raid 0. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks....

Knoppix can read from ntfs. But I don't know how to get it set up for a raid config.

(raid 0 is when the data is split between two drives right?)

spaceinvader001
09-21-2004, 04:34 AM
Print out the cheat codes and you can start from there. you will only need the codes If you are having dificulty. If you can see the HD, then cheatcodes will be on your CD you can also print them from windows. Else you can find them here http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/CheatCodes
That will get you started. I have made 100's of NT/win32 recoveries with Knoppix and its the BEST! It may depending on the hardware take a bit of trial and error to get into the machine. After you get into the hd you may need to change the hd properties > read/write or whatever you decide to do with the data. I just did one last week and copied all data except windows from am old 40GB that got virused to death and put it on a new 200GB only took me < 30 minutes
THANKS Klaus Knopper Your #1
and this BBS is the next best!#2

Steven Hair
10-04-2004, 11:45 PM
If you didn't write over your partition, I know a DOS-Based app that will rebuild your partition. It might also rebuild if if you reformatted (or so it says). It's Called Active@ Partition Recovery, I think the site's www.partitionrecovery.com. It costs $30, but they have a demo that you can download to make sure that you data is recoverable before you buy it. Also, if that doesn't work, "File Scavenger" (Windows-based; don't know website or price) might work, but that isn't very hopeful. It didn't work too well for me. (I'm an expert on this, as well as accidentally deleting partitions and reformating by accident :roll: )

Have Fun!

shah
10-05-2004, 06:13 AM
Partition recovery utility which comes with knoppix = testdisk
:D :D

CoolRunnings
10-12-2004, 12:09 AM
The absolute best tools I've ever used for data recovery were programs from Runtime.org. They have a tool for doing exactly what you're trying to do and I highly recommend it. I am in no way afiliated with this vendor, I've just had excellent results using their software. Hope that helps!