PDA

View Full Version : hand holding to perldoc?

phaedral
09-21-2004, 12:57 AM
I have been using knoppix off and on for over a year now. I have re-installed many times, but most recently have upgraded to 3.6. Thing is, on matter what I do I can't seem to get perldoc installed on this OS. Most often I choke with some kind of error telling me I need foo-N or greater but foo-N+M is installed, which, of course, makes no sense, since N+M is greater than N. I've spent many hours digging through faqs and man pages and howtos for apt, dselect and dpkg, but am just not getting it.

As an example, the first time I run dselect on a new knx install there's about five thousand packages selected for me to something or other with, and any attempt to decline such leads to a ever ramifying net of affected dependencies.

If I sound vague and lost, well, that's how I feel. I currently have a fresh 3.6 install, using the "debian" option on the installer. If at the shell I type
$ perldoc I get
You need to install the perl-doc package to use this program. When I run
apt-get install perldoc I get
E: Package perl-doc has no installation candidate I know this means I need to update my apt-get sources; I include the info to establish that I haven't buggered this already myself. So, if there's a guru out there with a little time and a lot of patience, I sure would be appreciative of any and all help. Thanks!

angor
09-21-2004, 06:39 AM
Try "apt-get install perl-doc" (mind the hyphen).

eco2geek
09-21-2004, 07:13 AM
If you need to add download sources to apt, the easiest way is to run apt-setup in a console as root, and follow the prompts.

phaedral
09-21-2004, 01:29 PM
Well, apt-setup had to be installed; that took some digging; it's in base-config, so it was
apt-get install base-config Ran apt-setup, ran apt-get update, ran apt-get install perl-doc, life is good. Thanks all.!