PDA

View Full Version : Users cannot login anymore with KDM... startx works!

dariuzzz
09-21-2004, 11:51 AM
Hi all..
Got Knoppix 3.4 installed on HD (fabulous!)
yesterday, I was just trying to bypass the hdd autodetection and fstab re-generation during boot when I accidentally pressed ALT+F2 or something similar... from then on my user cannot login anynmore using KDM (only root can) no matter the window manager I choose... display cannot start and just flickers and gets back to the KDM screen after a few seconds...
if I boot to console (or set init runlevel to 3), log myself in manually and then run a "startx" everything is just fine, but I do need an automatic graphical login, I find it just useful!
I've been looking for a solution in this forum and in other groups, but no way! what the hell might have happened?
tried to see if the problem was a corrupted .Xauthority/.xsession file, or a persistent X0-lock in /tmp, but no... tried to set runlevel to 3 and then back to 5.. nothing to do.. is it maybe an ssh issue?? shall I try to create a new user and see if login works? has anyone experienced a similar problem?? please, help me!! thanks a lot in advance...
dariuZzz

Cuddles
09-21-2004, 06:37 PM
dariuzzz,

No clue what file, or setting within any file, that does the job, so, I will drop back five yards, and punt...

You might try creating a "dummy" user account, test to be sure it gets into the GUI, and then drop back into a root login, check any files in the /home for "dummy", and compare them to what you have in your "real" users account... When you get your "real" user back into the GUI again, delete the "dummy" user account...

Best I can come up with...
Ms. Cuddles