PDA

View Full Version : No more windows 2000, How do I make knoppix login to server

lastinger
09-21-2004, 12:51 PM
I've finished moving most of the computers in my house to linux. I am not really as familiar as I should be with the linux but I took a leap of faith and now I've got to make it work. I've used debian/knoppix on all of my systems. My question is how do I set everything up so that all the linux user accounts reside on one of the systems and the other knoppix boxes use that box to authenticate users and allow them to login. I did the hardrive install for all of my knoppix boxes so I now have a login prompt on all of the systems.

shah
09-21-2004, 02:18 PM
Is this what you looking for?
http://www.metaconsultancy.com/whitepapers/ldap-linux.htm
:D

garyng
09-21-2004, 03:40 PM
there are a few options, but the following are the one I would consider :

1. kerberos
2. ldap
3. samba

You can even use all three of them together to get what W2K(or Active Directory) provides.

I believe you would need (3) anyway for file server so if you don't have other security requirement, just use it as its authentication feature as well. Add LDAP on top of it if your requirement is more complex and then kerberos if you are paranoid.

lastinger
09-21-2004, 10:59 PM
Thank you for your help. After reading through some material online I'll need samba and ldap. I know that knoppix comes with samba already installed, but what about ldap? Anyway thanks again for your help.

user unknown
09-22-2004, 01:35 AM
use samba to connect linux-clients to a linux-server?

I don't have suggestion for that problems, but isn't samba made to serve windows-accounts?

shah
09-22-2004, 01:46 AM
user unknown

I don't have suggestion for that problems, but isn't samba made to serve windows-accounts?

I thought same as you many many moon ago, but I was wrong. Infact it can be use by linux - linux. Perhaps there is a limitation to it that I don't know off.
:D

user unknown
09-22-2004, 01:55 AM
Yes - I know it can.
But aren't there more unix/ linux-like ways to do it?

You may use nfs (network file server) for file-serving.
And for authentification, I guess there are unix-style solutions too.

Since linux was a networking system from the beginning - in contrast to windows - there should be a lot of mature stuff...

Isn't pam an authentification-system too?

shah
09-22-2004, 03:52 AM
Yes PAM is way of linux authentification system. But I believed it is meant for local system. For server authentification system, PAM alone isn't enough, that's why LDAP and pam-ldap comes into hand. Forget about samba, it's different thing,samba only comes later, after user being authenticate. :D