PDA

View Full Version : Does knoppix 3.6 work for you?

metavoid
09-21-2004, 09:02 PM
I have 9 linux computers. Differernt ages. On all these very different systems knoppix 3.3 booted and ran on all of them using no cheat codes.

With knoppix 3.6 only one would run. Soon found out that it was due to
dma. But. When I bootet it didnt set the gfx right and the windows were
captionless. I fixed that and it ran.

On 3 of the machines, the new knx2hd kept saying that i didnt have a
partition and would only install using IGNORE_CHECK.
Same goes for installing into virtual pc.
No problems with knop 3.3

Also had problems with keyboard and locales (danish) not wanting to
to let my type / and other minor things.

The sad part is that I really want to use 3.6 as it has a newer kde and NX
which is really nice.

So is it me doing something wrong handling this new version or has anyone else had troubles??

ps. This is not to say anything bad about 3.6 as its perhaps me still being too noobish.

certifieduser
09-21-2004, 09:49 PM
It works on all my pc's but I know it has some issues. There is a complete new way how it boots compared to its earlier sibblings. The earlier sibblings where all seasoned while 3.6 is new.

Whats happenings with 3.6, is the kernel size have gone over 1.4 mb for kernel 2.6 and now it doesnt fit onto the floppy disk. Earlier versions were booting off the .img files on the CD but this verson 3.6 where the size of kernel 2.6 exceeds 1.4 mb it boots with syslinux boot loader. I am not too much technical that I could explain you in more detail.

Notice the difference in the CD while its booting up. You will have to wait for a while until its initrc script gets seasoned.

How did I figure this out? I wanted to run knoppix CD off my small USB hdd based. Knoppix on hdd but like the CD so when I shutdown I can discard the caches. I just got new 3.6 and tried a lot and could not boot. Did a lot of digging and then booted it off the 3.4 way and then replaced the main knoppix image with 3.6. So now I am happing using hdd based knoppix 3.6 but it boots the inital part the way 3.4 booted.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Kaushal
http://www.kaushalparikh.com/

metavoid
09-21-2004, 10:15 PM
ahh. So syslinux controls it now.
Well actually its most helpfull and I do understand that new releases suffer the "child thing". But basically you are saying it can do more and demands a little bit more understanding than the 3.3 im used to. Also you solution to live in usb key is cool. I assume that "discard the caches" keeps the size down?