PDA

View Full Version : Userlinux Live CD

pau1knopp
09-21-2004, 09:11 PM
A live demo that will allow you to test and demo bruce peren's project without installing it.

More info on Userlinux here:

http://userlinux.com/cgi-bin/wiki.pl

The more RAM the better, 128M is probably the minimum that would work. Alex de Landgraaf (of the Morphix project) contributed the CD so it has a Morphix splash screen, but the UserLinux package selection. I found it an easy way to evaluate this interesting project with out installing.

ISO downloadable from here:

http://hams.com/Mirror/userlinux-live-0.2.iso

mzilikazi
09-21-2004, 10:13 PM
I have looked at this a few times but apparently I just don't get it. :roll:
What's different about it? From what I can tell it's only Debian Sarge with a crappy browser.

SunnyB
09-22-2004, 02:52 AM
I have just been playing around with Userlinux Live-CD
in VMware and it seems OK except that I have never been a fan of gnome.

It detects all of my hardware and virtual disks fine.
Got the internet first time on a virtual NIC.

I installed Firefox and Thunderbird and they worked great.
I like the fact that it doesn't have all the extra programs
that I don't use which made it a bit faster than knoppix.

I like the way icons they used in open-office and other apps.

The only real problem was the fact that there is no way to save the
configuration other than installing to HDD which is why I like knoppix.

A Live-CD the way I want it.

pau1knopp
09-22-2004, 01:43 PM
I will admit that the most fun is comparing it to knoppix. I don't like gnome if given the choice of kde, but I can always apt-get install kde and take care of that (remaster if a live cd is prefered). It did not detect my wireless card and network. Does not have netcardconfig installed. The list goes on.

All in all though, I think that this distro is worth a look. Some bugs are to be expected as it is a very new release, but the thing that keeps me interested is that it attempts to keep itself free from proprietary licensing (it is debian after all) but is trying to position itself in a niche to allow commercial support. Give away the OS and app platforms, and sell services.

All in all, I thought it was forward thinking of them to release a live cd. I would never have had time to review it otherwise.

My two cents, and worth every penny.