PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix and parted

CrashedAgain
09-22-2004, 02:05 PM
Attempting to resize /hda5 which has Knoppix 3.4 installed. Parted refuses & returns error message "This ext2 filesystem has a rather strange layout. Parted is unable to resize this (yet)."
Well, parted was never able to resize,end the end I had to delete hda5 & then create a new larger partition which of course meant that I had to do a gut & rebuild on my Knoppix installation.
I checked immediately after a new clean Knoppix style install & parted reported the 'strange layout' on the brand new install.
So what is strange about the Knoppix filesystem to cause this?

firebyrd10
09-22-2004, 11:47 PM
Attempting to resize /hda5 which has Knoppix 3.4 installed. Parted refuses & returns error message "This ext2 filesystem has a rather strange layout. Parted is unable to resize this (yet)."
Well, parted was never able to resize,end the end I had to delete hda5 & then create a new larger partition which of course meant that I had to do a gut & rebuild on my Knoppix installation.
I checked immediately after a new clean Knoppix style install & parted reported the 'strange layout' on the brand new install.
So what is strange about the Knoppix filesystem to cause this?

It think knoppix prefers to have a ext3 FS and may have formatted it to that without you knowing. That could be causeing problems.

CrashedAgain
09-23-2004, 02:18 AM
It think knoppix prefers to have a ext3 FS and may have formatted it to that without you knowing. That could be causeing problems.

Yes, it is an ext3 system but that is not the problem. Parted was able to resize another ext3 system which did not have knoppix on it.
Here's the story. I have 6G HD on my laptop, 1.8G for winME, 2.3 Knoppix, remainder vfat for data. As I'm now using windows less, I removed what I didn't need & found I had about 800 M left over. So tried to resize hda1 to 1.1G & increase hda5 to 3 G using parted. Was able to reduce hda1 (dos primary) & increase hda2 (dos extended) but it refused to attempt hda5. It also damaged some windows files so I ended up removing windows & formatting hda1 ext3. I could then resize it OK but was still unable to resize hda5. Eventaully I gave up, deleted hda5 then made new larger hda5. I was able to resize this but as soon as I installed Knoppix I got the same strange fs error.
Parted also managed to create overlapping partitons, so that cfdisk refused to open /dev/hda but qtparted corrected this.
Ended up with a real gut & rebuild session.