PDA

View Full Version : How to make my own klik program???

morgan73
09-24-2004, 11:15 AM
Hi again!
Well, now I have GRUB, which is installed and gonfigured, I have knoppix poor man`s install and it works just fine:)
But my very important quistion (which causes me problems) is How can I install programs as it`s a poor man`s install and uses file, not partition?
In that case I can`t write to knoppix file system as knopix image file is consistent, but I have persistent home, so how can I install programs there. For exampleall klik`s programs are installed there. How can I do my own program install? I dont know any program language (c, c++ etc.) so is it possible for me to solve this problem? And if it is - HOW???
Thanks in advance!

shah
09-24-2004, 12:51 PM
May be you need something like klik, or create your own klik based installation. Can't help you on this. Probono sure can. :D :D

morgan73
09-24-2004, 01:12 PM
Probono, would you be so kind to help me, please!

champagnemojo
09-24-2004, 02:24 PM
Probono seems to be good about creating new klik 'recipes' when they're requested. I'm sure it depends on the app you're wanting...but it wouldn't hurt to let him know which app(s) you're wanting. Save him the trouble of asking. :wink:

champagnemojo
09-24-2004, 02:25 PM
You might also want to change your thread title to something that lets probono know that you're asking something klik-related.

probono
09-24-2004, 04:49 PM
Probono, would you be so kind to help me, please!

Hi morgan73,
Sure! Please tell me which app(s) you need and which Knoppix version you are running.
probono

j.drake
09-24-2004, 05:49 PM
How can I install programs as it`s a poor man`s install and uses file, not partition?
In that case I can`t write to knoppix file system as knopix image file is consistent, but I have persistent home, so how can I install programs there.

Hi, Morgan. Don't worry about it. If you've set up PH (file or partition - doesn't matter), Klik will take care of you. As far as you're concerned, the home directory (click the house icon) is a mix of My Documents and My Programs. You can save files there, and Klik can install programs there. You don't have to care how the PH is created, so long as it exists, and so long as it is sized to fit your needs. As a matter of fact, if you feel adventurous, you can download and install Linux programs to your PH even without Klik. It's like the old days of Windows and DOS, prior to Win95, in which installing a program meant copying it to the folder of your choice and running the exe file. Now you can't do that in Windows, because of the registry, but in Linux you still can, in many cases. When you extract a program to a folder in your home directory, look for an icon called a shell script - analogous to the exe files of old.

The concept of a "home" in linux derives from large, administered multi-user environments, in which each user of the system was allocated hd storage to use (his or her "home directory"). As a user, you didn't have to care how the storage was created, whether it's disk or solid state, or whether it's striped across several different devices. Seems like a strange concept in the PC world, in which the only user is generally the administrator responsible for the system files as well, but it's actually designed to make things simple for you.

In fact, I recently played with a SuSE live CD, which didn't allow for any user-level access to the drives. All you had was your home. After Knoppix, I found it extremely frustrating not to have access to documents on my disk, because I knew that they were there. Once you achieve a certain level of competency and responsibility in administering your system, well-intentioned efforts to make things easy actually make things harder. I enthusiastically returned to Knoppix!

In sum, you're thinking too hard. :wink: Relax and enjoy one of the rare occasions in which Linux (through use of the PH) has made things easy. :D

jd

morgan73
09-24-2004, 11:28 PM
I`ve just tried to install Opera but with no success:(( The shell script didn`t work. And there are many other programs that I can`t install. I know that it is no possible to ask Probono to make klik for every program I met in tne Internet. That`s why I want to learn myself to make such kliks, or to find another way to install applications. Thanks for all your advices!!! And if anybody can solve this problem - please write to me!

firebyrd10
09-25-2004, 12:58 AM
*edited* (DIdn't see this was in hd-install. :lol: )

I've noticed that clicking a shell script doesn't work, try opening up a shell and manually starting it. (Go to the directory and then type the name of the shell script. You can need to type ./ before the name though.

shah
09-25-2004, 01:37 AM
I think if probono is kind enough to create tutorial on how to make klik recipes, it will greatly appreciated. It wll make "klik" community grow faster.
:D :D :D :D

j.drake
09-25-2004, 03:54 AM
I've noticed that clicking a shell script doesn't work, try opening up a shell and manually starting it.

Well, in fairness, I've only succeeded in doing this a couple of times - but it was a couple of times out of a couple of attempts, so I assumed that it would always work that way. I guess you found some cases in which it doesn't.

jd

probono
09-25-2004, 04:31 AM
If it doesn't:

1. chmod 777 ./nameofscript.sh
2. make sure that the script has in its first line: #!/bin/sh
3. click on the script with both mouse buttons

greetings,
probono

morgan73
09-25-2004, 09:18 AM
Hm, even in this way

2. the script has in its first line: #!/bin/sh

it didn`t worked for me:(((
As I said. I`m trying to run/install opera 7.54

Any other suggestions?

firebyrd10
09-25-2004, 06:08 PM
I think if probono is kind enough to create tutorial on how to make klik recipes, it will greatly appreciated. It wll make "klik" community grow faster.
:D :D :D :D

I've tried to download a klik program (one of the games) and for some reason it coulnd't find the recipe. So Klik tried to make its own recipe. It didn't work because the file was corrupted and I haven't tried it since, but it appears we can make our own now.

firebyrd10
09-25-2004, 06:09 PM
Hm, even in this way

2. the script has in its first line: #!/bin/sh

it didn`t worked for me:(((
As I said. I`m trying to run/install opera 7.54

Any other suggestions?

Did you try calling it up from the consel(sp) yet?

I can't understand how this wouldn't work now enless the script is corrupted.

probono
12-16-2004, 08:51 PM
I`ve just tried to install Opera but with no success:((
Since today, you could try klik://opera (i have tested it with Kanotix, but it should work in Knoppix as well). It might give an error message at 1st run but should work afterwards.

I know that it is no possible to ask Probono to make klik for every program I met in tne Internet.
I'm a huge fan of efficiency, and thus want to automate as much as possible. Making all applications from debian klik-able is the current goal, and we are close to it :-)

If you really want a new application on klik then maybe the best thing to do is to try getting it included in debian, and thus in klik.

In the meantime, creating klik recipes isn't trivial but on IRC #klik we'll try to help you as good as we can.

Greetings,
probono