PDA

View Full Version : Windows 98 and Knoppix(debian) Dual-Boot

ishtvan22
09-25-2004, 03:40 AM
Hi
I have a 400 mhz compaq with 256 megs of ram with Windows 98 on a partiton. I have the knoppix 3.6 CD and love it. I wish I could only have Linux but i need Windows. I want to make a dual-boot between Windows and Debian and install using the Knoppix cd. I have a C: partiton and D: partiton (the same hard drive, 20 GB) The D: partition is 3.8 GB. There is nothing on the D: partition but a folder with some Openoffice documents that I would like to keep.

How would you reccomend i install debian from the knoppix cd, and get the dual-boot working?

shah
09-25-2004, 04:11 AM
You can do this from w98 or knoppix cd:
Move/Copy all folders from D (hda2 in knoppix) to C(hda2 in knoppix). Now you have all your files you want to keep in C.

Delete the D partition (in w98, boot and hit F5, choose boot to dos, run fdisk)(in knoppix, simply run Qtparted) , and now you have 3.8 G of free space.

Create partition, using qtparted from knoppix cd:
From the free space create two partition:
1) linux swap: between 250MB to 500MB, 250MB is sufficient enough
2) the rest of free space, create linux ext3 partition.

Installation:
It's better for you to create w98 rescue disk first. It will come handy if anything goes wrong.
Open konsole and run this command:
su <enter>
knoppix-installer <enter>
Follow instruction.......choose to install lilo on mbr. Lilo usually will detect your win98. In case lilo cannot boot, later on, you can use your win98 rescue disk, run fdisk /mbr and you will be able to boot your w98.
It's a good idea if you create a boot floppy too when asked at the end of installation.
:D :D :D