PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard responds too fast

digsy
03-23-2003, 05:57 PM
Helllo, I'm a newbie Linux user and I'm a new forum member!
I have downloaded KNOPPIX 3.2 and somehow managed to run it from CD.
I am very amazed. 8)

Now I have one annoying problem.
My keyboard responds too fast.
What I mean is when I want to type A, and I hit A key, it often typs 2 As.
I went to Control Center > Peripherals > Keyboard and tried to use "Slow keys" but it didn't work.
Whenever I checked it, the system refused to accept any key stroke and just beeped when I hit any key.
So I unchecked "Keyboard repeat" but it doesn't work sometimes.
And I would like to use "Keyboard repeat" feature if possible.

Is there any way I can fix this problem?
Thank you in advance!

god
03-23-2003, 10:07 PM
just an idea, but if you have a USB keyboard, you might want to turn off "legacy USB support" in the bios... the legacy support does funny things to things connected to the computer when linux is used.

digsy
03-25-2003, 09:21 AM
I.....don't.......know......how.....to....get..... into....the.....BIOS... :oops:

god
03-25-2003, 04:12 PM
usually you have to hit a key at boot up such as F2. It will often say when you reboot which key to hit...

digsy
03-26-2003, 03:59 AM
Oops sorry...
I missed that you said USB keyboard.
I have a Toshiba laptop, and according to Toshiba, they offer only a Windows-based BIOS setting utility.

Anyway I found that this is a common problem to Toshiba laptops, so I'll try to research about this a bit more.

Thanks for your help, god!

Andrew Foster
04-14-2003, 10:30 AM
Hi there,

On my Toshibas - 2590CDS and 6100 - you have to tap ESC when the red 'Toshiba' screen is up. It'll say something like "Check system then press [F1] key". What on earth does that mean anyway.

So you can make the necessary BIOS adjustments without the use of a Windows based application.

I have the same problem with random keys repeating unless I type *lots* slower. Interestingly I think it only happens with keys on the "home row" -asdfghjkl; et cetera. I was considering rebuilding the kernel with some different options as soon as I have the time :/

Cheers,

- Andrew