PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix Automatic Configuration Utitlity

vip3r
03-23-2003, 06:40 PM
I was just sparked with an idea, but I'm sure it has been posted several times before (sorry if it has). But what if you could put in a sort-of floppy type thing, or just basically put a configuration file on a partition, that would contain some settings that would need to be changed? Like, say I wanted to configure X for some purpose, but I couldn't because the configuration file is a text file that is usually located on the hard drive. Maybe there would be some configuration file on a floppy or on some other partition (where there'd be a predefined location on where it would be) that Knoppix could read. Then whenever X or something asked for the configuration file, Knoppix would automatically recognize that it was a file that had a non-defualt value and then change it and give it to X? I don't know much about the way Knoppix works, but I figure it could be implemented somehow. Do you think it would work?

Also, you could make Knoppix read the configuration file for any parameters that would need to be set for boot. I know Knoppix has a parameter where you could specify a file where all the other parameters can be set, but you still have to type the location of the file. Knoppix could read that configuration file, find where the other boot file is, then read all its parameters, and then boot.

Its just an idea, and it probably won't get implemented, but once I get the time and rescources to start developing for Knoppix I'll probably figure out some way to implement it.

probono
03-23-2003, 07:24 PM
This is implemented in 3.2 :D at least sort of... see "save configuration" in the Knoppix menu. Unfortunately, this approach does not (yet) let you edit the config file created by hand (unless you know how to deal with .tgz).

vip3r
03-23-2003, 07:30 PM
Ooooh.

I need to read up on that feature :).

A. Jorge Garcia
03-23-2003, 09:46 PM
Sounds like the latest version of Persistent-Home included with KNOPPIX 3.2!

Regards,