PDA

View Full Version : Will my wifi card work?

jacksonon
09-25-2004, 11:02 PM
Hi! I have searched for info on this board related to getting my wifi card to work. I am using a Live version of Knoppix 3.6.

Here is the relevant (I think) part of the startup process that I see on my screen.

PCMCIA found starting cardmgr
cardmgr[96]: starting, version is 3.2.5
cardmgr[96]: socket 1: CardBus hotplug device
insmod: /lib/modules/2.4.27/kernal/drivers/hotplug/shpchp.o:init_module Operation not permitted
insmod: Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters. You can find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
insmod: /lib/modules/2.4.27/kernal/drivers/hotplug/shpchp.o: insmod shpchp failed
insmod: /lib/modules/2.4.27/kernal/drivers/hotplug/pciehp.o: init_module: Operation not permitted
insmod: /lib/modules/2.4.27/kernal/drivers/hotplug/pciehp.o: insmod pciehp failed

I am using an Octopus TwinMos card.

I tried going to the penguin in the toolbar in the left, bottom corner of the screen, clicked on "Network Internet" and "Wavelan configuration" and both times I got the message that there is no recognized card/device. Does this mean that my card will not work with Knoppix? When I start in Windows, the card has a blinking orange light, but no lights come on after Knoppix is loaded.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

firebyrd10
09-26-2004, 12:30 AM
Doesn't look like knoppix can even load the operation module needed.

Short answer no. Though it could just be a bad burn too. Try typeing

Knoppix testcd

at boot.