PDA

View Full Version : warnings during HD install

FatherBob
09-25-2004, 11:17 PM
I just did a fresh install on my laptop as seen below, and although I don't see any obvious troubles yet, I figured I'd paste the warnings sent to the console during the installation process.

Does any of this look familiar to anyone?

-Rob

knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ sudo knoppix-installer
Can't remove /usr/share/applications/./Ethereal.desktop: Read-only
file system, skipping file.
Can't remove /usr/share/applications/./EtherealAsRoot.desktop:
Read-only file system, skipping file.
Can't remove /usr/share/applications/./qtparted.desktop: Read-only
file system, skipping file.
Can't remove /usr/share/applnk/./Settings/Peripherals/kxconfig.desktop:
Read-only file system, skipping file.
/dev/mapper/control: open failed: No such device
Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
/dev/mapper/control: open failed: No such device
Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
Incompatible libdevmapper 1.00.19-ioctl (2004-07-03)(compat) and kernel driver
Warning: '/proc/partitions' does not match '/dev' directory structure.
Name change: '/dev/cloop0' -> '/dev/cloop'
Warning: Unable to determine video adapter in use in the present system.

rrfish72
09-25-2004, 11:33 PM
Yes they do. I had to set a password for root. Then the install went through. I don't know why but that's how I got around seeing those messages.

markb
09-26-2004, 12:17 AM

Yes, I get the same warnings and 3.6 fails to boot for me (installing lilo in partition). All previous versions of Knoppix have installed fine. Did your 3.6 install actually boot ok? Did you do a MBR or partition install? There are a few mentions of this in the bugs list, see http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/Bugs/3.6-2004-08-16

rrfish72
09-26-2004, 12:28 AM
I tried about 5 times then it finally went through. Did testcd cheatcode before it finally worked. Everything booted fine for me and it all works great. Did an mbr install.

FatherBob
09-26-2004, 12:40 AM

Yes, I get the same warnings and 3.6 fails to boot for me (installing lilo in partition). All previous versions of Knoppix have installed fine. Did your 3.6 install actually boot ok? Did you do a MBR or partition install? There are a few mentions of this in the bugs list, see http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/Bugs/3.6-2004-08-16

Yes, it boots. In fact, I used it to make my initial post, as well as this one.

I've yet to determine if everything's working properly. My only experiment so far has been an attempt to compile a simple 'hello world' C++ source file (with no success and some puzzlement).

Oh, and I did MBR install.