PDA

View Full Version : SETI@Home Installation Problems

Jameson
09-26-2004, 02:13 AM
Hoping someone out their is familiar with SETI@Home and other BOINC projects heres my problem, I downloaded the Gunzipped file, extracted it to a thumbdrive and then tried to open it and it just didn't do anything. I mean it did that little disapating window but nothing happened after that. The extracted version has a little blue gear icon if it helps. I'm still pretty new to the linux world so is their something I should be doing from root or does something need to be enabled in order for it to be executable? So far I've just been trying to open it from the GUI (KDE) so that may be a problem or may not. Thanks in advance.

-Jameson

Kilroy
09-26-2004, 02:25 AM
Thats the problem, the SETI client is a background program, it just runs silently unless you go download a frontend for it so you can watch its progress. You can find a whole list of them here. (http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/links_addons.html) the seti program is best run on a command line.

firebyrd10
09-26-2004, 03:47 AM
Thats the problem, the SETI client is a background program, it just runs silently unless you go download a frontend for it so you can watch its progress. You can find a whole list of them here. (http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/links_addons.html) the seti program is best run on a command line.

I don't think its that, programs don't seem to start for me when I click the icon. Try opening up a shell in the seti directory and typing the program name.

Kilroy
09-26-2004, 04:33 AM
the seti program is best run on a command line. :wink:

firebyrd10
09-26-2004, 05:28 AM
the seti program is best run on a command line. :wink:

Missed it, i've really got to read post slower. :roll:

Jameson
09-26-2004, 07:30 AM
Thanks Kilroy, I ran it in a shell and attached my project. Even though the interface isn't as good as the Windows version at least it doesn't lock up so much and (at all) my credits are showing up. :D