PDA

View Full Version : Turn off Auto Network Configuration

techdesk
09-26-2004, 03:45 AM
Hey,

Been using knoppix 3.6, love it. As I loved versions 2-through to the present version...

However, one thing that has bothered me since installing 3.6 is no matter how I tweak out my network settings, knoppix destroy's them al upon reboot.

So, I have two dns servers in my home, I WANT to use them, NOT the ISP supplied dns provided by my router using dhcp, I have turned dhcp off via the knoppix menu=>network=>network crad configuration

It asks if I want to use dhcp, I emphatically click NO each time and enter the network settings i DO want to use, all is well until reboot, then I have to go and do the procedure again...when I check /etc/resolv.conf after a reboot my ISP's DNS suffix has been added along with both of their dns servers, which quite frankly, cannot match the speed I get from having two in my own home...Even my secondary resolves faster than their primary.

So, with your help, next time I reboot I will not check resolv.donf only find my isp's information there...

Cheers,

J

el_supremo
09-26-2004, 04:28 AM
If you are using a persistent home and a config file, you need to save the configuration file again so that it is restored on a reboot.

Best Wishes
Pete

techdesk
09-26-2004, 05:07 AM
Sorry guys,

I guess I shuold've stated that this is a hard drive install using:

IGNORE_CHECK=1 sudo knoppix-installer

the easy way...I am not sure if the persistant directory applies in this situation, if so, please advise me on where to get info about how to save it, or just lay out the steps for me?

Cheers,

J

shah
09-26-2004, 05:29 AM
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12926&highlight=pump
:D :D

techdesk
09-26-2004, 07:08 AM
I read the other thread and used the comment out for pump, hit return, pasted in your networking start line from the other thread. Rebooted system, and eth0 could not start: somthing about sysctrlIO: file already exists?

Anyways, I treid ifup eth0 : received same error
I tried ifdown eth0 : received not configured error
tried ifconfig eth0 : all my internal network setings were there and correct

So I restored the original knoppix-autoconfig and rebooted, back to square one, then I used the network card configuration tool to add all my internal IPs, including dns servers and I'm back in business.

Anybody else?

Cheers,

John

shah
09-26-2004, 08:27 AM
After you edit knoppix-autoconfig, you need to setup netcardconfig, then reboot.

:D

techdesk
09-26-2004, 09:24 AM
I'll give it a go...

TTUsoon

John

techdesk
09-26-2004, 09:35 AM
Thanks

I will reboot a few more times to make sure the settings are sticking, but I beleive that worked just fine.

I did as you said, and ran the network card configurator before I rebooted (I didn't do that last time) and then rebooted and all seems to be well now.

Thank You so much Shah-it was driving me nuts-I KNOW how to cnfigure a network in linux, manually, this auto-config stuff that knoppix has going on is great!Except I KNOW nothing about it!!! but I'm learning slowly---I ain't a programmer but perl and shell scripting seems to be my new area of learning...wish me luck:-)

Cheers and thanx again!

John