PDA

View Full Version : New to Knoppix some general questions

Quip Frok
09-26-2004, 06:09 AM
Knoppix won't remember my modem:
/dev/modem connection setup (serial/USB/IRDA/Bluetooth) has to be run each time I run Knoppix. It isn't a big hassle but if I didn't have to do that it would be swell.

I have a USR hardware 56 k modem

After I make changes to my desktop, etc. Do I need to run "save knoppix configuration" each time? Or is once enough.

Also If I set my wallpaper from a drive that is NTFS will Knoppix remeber it?

I know these aren't technical networking questions but if I'm going to use Knoppix I need to solve these problems.

Thanks,

Quip Frok

CrashedAgain
09-26-2004, 04:03 PM
Knoppix won't remember my modem:
/dev/modem connection setup (serial/USB/IRDA/Bluetooth) has to be run each time I run Knoppix. It isn't a bug hassle but if I didn't have to do that it would be swell.

I have a USR hardware 56 k modem

After I make changes to my desktop, etc. Do I need to run "save knoppix configuration" each time? Or is once enough.

Also If I set my wallpaper from a drive that is NTFS will Knoppix remeber it?

I know these aren't technical networking questions but if I'm going to use Knoppix I need to solve these problems.

Thanks,

Quip Frok
If you have a persistent home set up, changes to your desktop etc will be 'saved' automatically since your 'home' directory is no longer on the CD, it is on the HD. Otherwise, you will have to 'save config' to wherever your config file is each time you make changes.

rrfish72
09-26-2004, 05:24 PM
What kind of installation did you do? beginner, knoppix or debian.

Quip Frok
09-27-2004, 05:22 AM
What kind of installation did you do? beginner, knoppix or debian.

3.4 booting from CD with persistant home on Fat32 drive.

I never saw any options for beginner or debian

Quip

Quip Frok
09-27-2004, 05:26 AM
If you have a persistent home set up, changes to your desktop etc will be 'saved' automatically since your 'home' directory is no longer on the CD, it is on the HD. Otherwise, you will have to 'save config' to wherever your config file is each time you make changes.

I have a persistent home. Still my wallpaper isn't remembered

Thanks

j.drake
09-27-2004, 05:35 AM
Wallpaper would be save config.

jd

Quip Frok
09-28-2004, 12:37 AM
Wallpaper would be save config.

jd

Yes it would. Still the wallpaper isn't displayed. What does happen though is the desktop has most of what I set but not all. If I logout, rather than restart, the wallpaper IS displayed. I trying to get my mitts on 3.7

An interesting aside. I have two computers one is an AMD 64 3000 the other is an AMD 1700+. They are connected via KVM and the 1700 doesn't have the wallpaper issue.

I'd still like to know from anyone what's up with the modem not being recalled properly.

Thanks for your reply

Quip