PDA

View Full Version : how to close Xserver for nvidia?

o0oO
09-27-2004, 01:51 AM
Hi, im a band new linux noob!! wo0t im so happy to actually get a chance to play with Linux and decided to play with Knoppix HD install. Ok anyway i wanna play some games but its all crappy so i got the NVIDIA drivers but when i sh the nvidia file it give some some shat about closing xserver, so i tried <ctrl><alt><bkspc> but it restarts so then i read that you need to change its level or w/e but im not sure wat to do here, theres a thing with runlevel5="" but i dont know what i should do there and if i should do anything to the user=knoppix. thnx

shah
09-27-2004, 02:07 AM
You could:

1) When you install as beginner style or debian style, you will always presented with KDM log in screen. There is a menu button where you can select what type of windows manager you wan to log to. Choose boot to konsole.

2) Edit your /etc/inittab file. Go to KDE-->system--->file manager-super user mode-->open that /etc/inittab file.
On top of that file there's a line :
# The default runlevel.
id:5:initdefault:

Change id:5:initdefault to id:3:initdefault
Save and reboot, you will be presented with command line.
After you install nvidia driver, you need to set back your /etc/inittab to its original state..
Before you try install nvidia driver, I would suggest you search and read post about how to install nvidia driver in this forum.

:D :D

o0oO
09-27-2004, 02:13 AM
nm i think i fount the file*