PDA

View Full Version : SQL Database

dehahn
09-27-2004, 06:58 AM
Hi

Is there an SQL database program in Knoppix 3.3? Is it MySQL? If I need to go to a shell, what command activates? Could anybody help me please?

Thank you,

Danny

shah
09-27-2004, 07:48 AM
I don't know about 3.3, but in 3.4,it's mysql.
To run it, open konsole : /etc/init.d/mysql
:D

fordfasterr
09-27-2004, 07:55 PM
yes, mysql is the database server built-into knoppix... hopefully you have already installed knoppix to your hard drive.. if not, open a terminal and type "su <enter>, then type knoppix-installer <enter> and perform the install..".

next...

my suggestion for working with it is to download a gui tool to help you work with tables and such..
be sure you are connected to the internet with a (hopefully) high speed connection.. although dial-up will do.

open a terminal and type:

su <enter>
apt-get update <enter>
after this runs and completes the update type..

apt-get install mysqlcc <enter>

this is the mysql gui program, to launch it, just open the K menu and go to "Development > Database > click MysqlCC"

and there you have it.

you will also want to establish the root account (or any account) with full access to the db.. to do that, follow these instructions (from mysql.com websites online manual)..

mysql> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO 'monty'@'localhost'
-> IDENTIFIED BY 'some_pass' WITH GRANT OPTION;
mysql> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO 'monty'@'%'
-> IDENTIFIED BY 'some_pass' WITH GRANT OPTION;

be sure to replace "monty" with your desired username, and be sure to replace "some_pass" with your desired password... i suggest making them both identical ! :)

Good luck !

user unknown
09-28-2004, 12:21 AM
I don't know whether postgresql is included in knoppix, but I think so.

It's the more mature rdbms-system for linux.
Have a look at it too...

dehahn
10-14-2004, 07:23 AM
Thank you all for your help

Danny