PDA

View Full Version : Clam Antivirus

FelixDzerzhinsky
09-27-2004, 02:19 PM
Has anybody been using Clam Antivirus for an extended period of time?

I was wondering if it performed comparably to comercial antivirus products in a Win XP environment.

Also has anybody been using it on Win98? Yes I know linux is better but try telling that to a 75 year old woman who's son is a windows zealot. I am trying to get her good antivirus protection without having to shell out a lot of cash. If I get her using open source in Windows I can wean her on to Linux later!

j.drake
09-27-2004, 06:07 PM
I've used the free version of AVG before, with no problems to date. www.grisoft.com

jd

FelixDzerzhinsky
09-29-2004, 12:05 PM
Thanks for reply. It may be an alternative.

I am still wondering about how the open source ClamAV is comparing with comercial counterparts in Windows.

Hunkah
09-30-2004, 10:02 PM
I have been using both for about 6 months. As of yet I haven't had a virus. But I did download one for kicks and AVG picked it up before ClamWIN did. Once AVG found it, nothing else has a chance to have a go at it, because AVG is like a pitbull on crack! I was bombarded with "HOLY CRAP YOU HAVE A VIRUS!!!" messages from AVG. I tried to scan it with ClamWIN and AVG interupted any attempt to allow ClamWIN to see it. ClamWIN is not very intuitive but does update daily without a hitch. I can see it doing well if the dev team stays on course and doesn't quit like most OSS projects.

damn66
09-30-2004, 11:47 PM
i've used avast home edition..