PDA

View Full Version : Question - Poor Man's + Lilo

hardbop200
09-27-2004, 06:27 PM
Hello!

What I would like to do is a poor man's install (basically using the tohd option), but install lilo on the MBR so I can boot straight from the HD without having to use the CD. How can I do this? From what I've read, the poor man's is the easy part:

knoppix26 tohd=/dev/hda3

Once I get there, is there any way to edit lilo.conf and then /sbin/lilo and have it install to the MBR? Or is there more to it than that?

(Just in case you're wondering, I'm lazy...I don't want to look for the CD every time I boot, but I also don't want to do a full hard drive install...call me crazy :lol: )

Thanks,

Josh

hardbop200
09-27-2004, 06:31 PM
I should add that I am NOT dual-booting with Windows. I will use all Linux partitions for this, with Knoppix as my only OS.

bandoba
09-27-2004, 07:12 PM
I'm still quite a newbie in Linux. But yes, I have tried this and it works perfectly. If I remember correctly, something similar is already mentioned in "HD Based How To". See here http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/HdBasedHowTo (look at 1.2).

I used this method on smaller hard disks (< 2GB in size) and also a 1GB flash drive. I must say that I love the flash drive KNOPPIX machine!

HTH.

hardbop200
09-27-2004, 08:34 PM
Ahh, RTFM strikes again :oops: :oops: Thanks for the link!

Josh