PDA

View Full Version : Can i save programs?

Dreamofgilgamesh
09-27-2004, 08:30 PM
Dear Group, i'm new to Linux so forgive me if this is a fooloish question. I have done a "Poor Mans Install" with Knoppix 3.6 and set up a "Persistent Home" Everytime i change the background or how something looks or behaves i save the config file to /mnt/hda1 and it works fine, next time i start up my settings are remembered.

I downloaded a program from Klik and tried to save the config files and a box appeared saying that Knoppix couldn;'t save my settings. I deleted the download and got another one but the message was the same. It then occured to me that maybe i can't save programs with a "Poor Mans Install" Is that the case chaps, and if not, any idea where i'm going wrong?

Many Thanks

Dreamofgilgamesh

firebyrd10
09-27-2004, 10:37 PM
Are you useing a Persistant Home?

Thats what is needed to save anything in the home drive really.

(In fact unless your useing a printer or custom network setup you don't even need config with a PH)

Go to the same menu as if your were going to save your config to make a PH.

Dreamofgilgamesh
09-28-2004, 08:04 AM
Yes, i am using a Persistent Home, minor changes to the desktop are saved fine, it's just that if i install a program i find that it wont save. If i remember correctly, when i first set up the PH it asked what size it should be. Could it be that i have used that space up?

Dreamofgilgamesh

firebyrd10
09-28-2004, 09:43 PM
Yes, i am using a Persistent Home, minor changes to the desktop are saved fine, it's just that if i install a program i find that it wont save. If i remember correctly, when i first set up the PH it asked what size it should be. Could it be that i have used that space up?

Dreamofgilgamesh

I doubt it. You would have gotten an error when the saving the file to your PH.

What settings are you saving when you save the config?