PDA

View Full Version : Accessing the rest of the software...?

Ander
09-28-2004, 11:29 AM
Feel free to laugh at my complete ignorance...

Knoppix is great. However, I understand there is much more software available on the CD than what appears in the menus by default (almost 2 GB, right?).

So how do you access all these other apps? I've seen lists of the Knoppix packages, but there are no clues about running or "installing" them from the CD.

I tried apt-get [package name], but it doesn't work. (I assumed Knoppix's package-source list pointed to itself...?)

I've searched this forum and other Knoppix sites, but couldn't find anything about this. Thanks for enlightening me (and you can stop laughing now).

shah
09-28-2004, 12:29 PM
usually binaries for knoppix apps resides in:
/bin
/sbin
/usr/bin
/usr/sbin
/usr/local ** if you install from source code without using prefix.

So look on these dir.
:D :D :D

gruntbuggly
09-28-2004, 12:40 PM
I understand there is much more software available on the CD than what appears in the menus by default

Yes. In particular, command line programs which take options do not belong in the K menu.

All the software on the CD is already 'installed'. To run any program (including GUI programs) simply type its name in a Konsole window. Try

echo $PATH

to get a colon-separated list of directories in which there are program files.

Superstoned
09-28-2004, 05:31 PM
Feel free to laugh at my complete ignorance...

Knoppix is great. However, I understand there is much more software available on the CD than what appears in the menus by default (almost 2 GB, right?).

So how do you access all these other apps? I've seen lists of the Knoppix packages, but there are no clues about running or "installing" them from the CD.

I tried apt-get [package name], but it doesn't work. (I assumed Knoppix's package-source list pointed to itself...?)

I've searched this forum and other Knoppix sites, but couldn't find anything about this. Thanks for enlightening me (and you can stop laughing now).

apt-get install [packagename] means something like "look in the list of software content on online webservers I have for [packagename], look what other packages it needs and download and install these files".

which doesnt work on an livecd, but does on the hd-install, IF you have configured the list of servers apt-get should look at, AND have updated your local list of available content on these servers (which you can do with the command "apt-get update" - this tells apt to fetch the lists of available software from these servers)

Ander
10-21-2004, 11:00 AM
Thanks, guys!

firebyrd10
10-22-2004, 12:27 AM
bascly just type the name into any shell