PDA

View Full Version : Advantages of HDD install

teckjunkie
09-28-2004, 03:42 PM
I'm still relatively new to this and I can't find what I'm looking for.

* I have a 25Gig Partition set aside for Knoppix so space is not an issue.

What are the advantages of installing knoppix 3.7 and downloading lots of packages over:

Installing Knoppix 3.4 DVD and running 'apt-get update' and 'apt-get upgrade'... wouldn't it upgrade all packages??

Also my laptop is a P4 so can I just download a new i686 kernel and everything goes faster I never understood that. (also what is the difficulty level of that on 1 to 10)

Superstoned
09-28-2004, 05:23 PM

What are the advantages of installing knoppix 3.7 and downloading lots of packages over:

Installing Knoppix 3.4 DVD and running 'apt-get update' and 'apt-get upgrade'... wouldn't it upgrade all packages??

Also my laptop is a P4 so can I just download a new i686 kernel and everything goes faster I never understood that. (also what is the difficulty level of that on 1 to 10)

dont use knoppix for a permanent install. use debian's own installer (now being tested). I'd say wait for the next debian stable version (whould be before the end of the year. or use the testing installer (which installs debian-sarge).

why? because knoppix isnt fully debian compliant. because it is meant as live-cd, not installation cd. you might also use kanotix (which is knoppix, but meant for hdinstall) or mephis (nice, userfriendly knoppix/debian based system).

good luck

vincev
09-28-2004, 08:39 PM
So, as knoppix isn't good for a hd isntall of 3.4 and 3.6(3.4 worked better...and I did the sudo knoppix-installer thing--that's what I am trying to work with),
it brings up some questions for me:

how would I transfer the following configurations to kanoptix (and option mentioned by someone) or some other Knoppix-clone that is Debian compliant and safe/goodtogo for hd install:

-kmail
-openoffice
-mozilla;mail and browser

and if I didn't go to kanoptix

, how would I (would I) want to try a Debian-Sarge install...could I do over an ethernet connection or librenet---heard good things about their support communities and they are linux compliant ?

Thanks...

PS At this point: the following issues are occurring for me (read: looking for the stability!)

-my hp scroll mouse not recoginized
-get my computer to TOTALLY turn off
-have it recognize my CD player EVERYTIME
-and my floppy, if its added on in the back to a serial port, how to get it to be recoginized
-and my printer -lexmark z51 and z53, how to get it recognized since I am getting an error about cups server not workin

And...how much does the kernal(that comes up at the start that we must choose) matter with all of this?

thanks ahead of time...

richb
09-29-2004, 02:52 AM

dont use knoppix for a permanent install. use debian's own installer (now being tested). I'd say wait for the next debian stable version (whould be before the end of the year. or use the testing installer (which installs debian-sarge).

why? because knoppix isnt fully debian compliant. because it is meant as live-cd, not installation cd. you might also use kanotix (which is knoppix, but meant for hdinstall) or mephis (nice, userfriendly knoppix/debian based system).

good luck

So what if it is not fully Debian compliant. Many very excellent distros aren't and perform excellently as does knoppix. I did it and knoppix works great as an hd install. I am very satisfied.

teckjunkie
09-29-2004, 08:33 PM
I tried Mephix actually before I first tried knoppix and it was ok...
I installed Kanotix yesterday but I see no performance diffrence with a i586 OS I figured it would be.... diffrent. It's pretty much like knoppix except it has the Debian menu and you gotta menu edit every program to install... it also turns firewire off by default i believe.... you can turn it on but im a very lazy person.. PLUS KNOPPIX HAS A BETTER FORUM WITH GREAT SUPPORT.

Pretty much I still never found what I was looking for whether it was better for a DVD install or a 3.7 CD to do a HDDinstall...

Is there any command other than 'apt-get upgrade' to install lots of new packages.... like apt-get install newest or something that would fill 10+ gigs with lots of cool tools and apps to play around with in one shot?

HomerCube
09-30-2004, 07:54 AM
So what if it is not fully Debian compliant. Many very excellent distros aren't and perform excellently as does knoppix. I did it and knoppix works great as an hd install. I am very satisfied.
The trouble is, Knoppix is a mix of different Debian sources, and some own packages. Installing Knoppix onto HD is very easy; upgrading packages can be very painful.
My advice: if you're not quite skilled in Debian installation, use Knoppix as long as new Debian installer will be finally released as stable, as I'm gonna do. I hope it won't be a long wait :?.

CrashedAgain
09-30-2004, 09:14 PM
So, as knoppix isn't good for a hd isntall of 3.4 and 3.6(3.4 worked better...and I did the sudo knoppix-installer thing--that's what I am trying to work with),
IMHO Knoppix works very well as a Hd install. Perhaps Kanotix is 'optimized' for a HDinstall but Knoppix still works well plus you have the live CD if you need it. It may not be 100% 'Debian compliant but what does that mean and why do you want 'Debian compliant'. Debian's big advantage over a RH based distro is apt-get, otherwise Debian has a reputation for requiring a lot of manual setup. With Knoppix it's pretty well set up.

how would I transfer the following configurations to kanoptix (and option mentioned by someone) or some other Knoppix-clone that is Debian compliant and safe/goodtogo for hd install:

-kmail
-openoffice
-mozilla;mail and browser
You should be able to transfer most of these settings by copying the setup files from your home directory. These are hidden files, for instance home/knoppix/.kde/share/config/kmailrc (the . in front of the .kde makes it a hidden file).[/quote]

how would I (would I) want to try a Debian-Sarge install...could I do over an ethernet connection or librenet---heard good things about their support communities and they are linux compliant ?

Download & burn the disks then install

-my hp scroll mouse not recoginized
-get my computer to TOTALLY turn off
-have it recognize my CD player EVERYTIME
-and my floppy, if its added on in the back to a serial port, how to get it to be recoginized
-and my printer -lexmark z51 and z53, how to get it recognized since I am getting an error about cups server not workin

Scrollmouse: add 'wheelmouse' to your 'append=' line in /etc/lilo.conf then rerun lilo. You may also have to change the 'protocol=' line in /etc/X11/XF86config-4 from 'auto' to 'IMPS/2' for the PS/2 mouse.

Turn off: add apm=power-off to lilo.conf 'append=' line should do it
CD player: should work OK as is with 2.4 series kernel, for 2.6 kernel see this link (apparently this is a Debian problem): http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13601

floppy: sorry, don't know

printer: again, don't know. I have not had any problems at least with 2.4 kernel.

And...how much does the kernal(that comes up at the start that we must choose) matter with all of this?

thanks ahead of time...
2.6 kernel is supposed to be faster, has better sound support because it uses ALSA instaed of obsolete OSS (you can get around this by adding 'alsa' to append= line to run alsa with the 2.4 kernel) but it still has some issues with CD support & maybe other items as well. In the end, I don't think the average user will notice a difference & it is probably accurate to say the 2.4 kernel can be regarded as more 'stable' since most bugs have been worked out of it already.

I tried Mephix actually before I first tried knoppix and it was ok...
I installed Kanotix yesterday but I see no performance diffrence with a i586 OS I figured it would be.... diffrent. It's pretty much like knoppix except it has the Debian menu and you gotta menu edit every program to install... it also turns firewire off by default i believe.... you can turn it on but im a very lazy person.. PLUS KNOPPIX HAS A BETTER FORUM WITH GREAT SUPPORT.

Pretty much I still never found what I was looking for whether it was better for a DVD install or a 3.7 CD to do a HDDinstall...

Is there any command other than 'apt-get upgrade' to install lots of new packages.... like apt-get install newest or something that would fill 10+ gigs with lots of cool tools and apps to play around with in one shot?

Apt-get upgrade is a problem with Knoppix, it may overwrite a lot of config files, 'upgrade' stuff to standard Debian whereas you may prefer Knoppix setups and often seems to result in a pretty much messed up system.
Far better to upgrade only what you want with apt-get install & specify the install version...for instance 'apt-get -t unstable install konqueror' will upgrade knoqueror to the version in Debian unstable repository. This will usually be the latest version avaiable. It will also upgrade any other packages related to it. 10G is a LOT of apps, should allow you to try almost everything available. If you use kapackage or synaptic as a graphical package browser, you can select and install whatever you want. But there is no single command which will just install everything.

The trouble is, Knoppix is a mix of different Debian sources, and some own packages. Installing Knoppix onto HD is very easy; upgrading packages can be very painful.

I disagree. Upgrading works well as long as you do it as above not as a blanket upgrade.

HomerCube
10-04-2004, 08:06 AM
I disagree. Upgrading works well as long as you do it as above not as a blanket upgrade.
Do you? So, how would you apt-get -u install k3b alsa-utils, for example? I get lots of installs/reinstalls/removes after that...