PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix and LVM

indulis
03-24-2003, 05:16 AM
...just when I was about to start some thinking about incorporating Kudzu into a Debian boot, here is Knoppix!

My interest is in getting an easily installable Debian- I spent a lot of time hacking the Debian Woody install process to allow me to install everything into LVM (including root filesystem but not /boot... see <a href=http://21Chouse.com/> my poorly formatted notes on the process </a> ). I thought that would be the hard part, but the next steps are not easy, picking packages, trying to get all my h/w configured.

So, my question is, is there LVM support within Knoppix so I could use it as the installer for my system?

How hard would it be to add it if it is not there already? I am willing to do some hacking with the boot process (as I've already proven :-)...

Cheers,

Indulis

sireasoning
03-24-2003, 06:57 AM
So, my question is, is there LVM support within Knoppix so I could use it as the installer for my system?
Indulis

lvm is already on knoppix but it does not appear that the startup script is setup to use it, which means that you are stuck with using the command line to rebuild your lvm drive.

It would be nice to have an lvm startup script that would do a vgscan then vgchange -ay. Once it knows the lvm layout, it would then scan the drives for fstab, then rebuild the drive partitions from that fstab and put that link into the kde desktop (read-only of course with an option to make it read-write just as regular partitions already are done)

for instance lets say that the there are 3 logical volumes on the hard drive:

/dev/volume/home
/dev/volume/usr
/dev/volume/root

but the order to mount in fstab would be:
/dev/volume/root /
/dev/volume/usr /usr
/dev/volume/home /home

so the script would need to do the vgscan and vgchange -ay
then discover that there is an vg called volume it would then scan the three lv's looking for (/etc/)fstab (which would be found in this case on /dev/volume/root/etc/fstab)

It then creates the knoppix fstab with the following changes:

/dev/volume/root /mnt/lvm/
/dev/volume/usr /mnt/lvm/user
/dev/volume/home /mnt/lvm/home

Then knoppix could create the kde desktop icon to mount these read-only in the proper order and open /mnt/lvm in konqueror when the desktop icon is clicked. It would also have the same ability to mount these logical volumes read-write if chosen by right clicking on the desktop icon and choosing that option.

Dave_Bechtel
03-24-2003, 08:19 AM
--This is why I'm not using LVM on Debian(knoppix) yet; it's still working on my suse 7.3 install tho. I'm basically waiting for some decent frontend tools for LVM to rev (text-mode Yast was really pretty good for lvm setup.)

Indulis

lvm is already on knoppix but it does not appear that the startup script is setup to use it, which means that you are stuck with using the command line to rebuild your lvm drive.

It would be nice to have an lvm startup script that would do a vgscan then vgchange -ay. Once it knows the lvm layout, it would then scan the drives for fstab, then rebuild the drive partitions from that fstab and put that link into the kde desktop (read-only of course with an option to make it read-write just as regular partitions already are done)

sireasoning
03-24-2003, 08:33 AM
--This is why I'm not using LVM on Debian(knoppix) yet; it's still working on my suse 7.3 install tho. I'm basically waiting for some decent frontend tools for LVM to rev (text-mode Yast was really pretty good for lvm setup.)

Mandrake's lvm setup tools are also very easy to use (it is integrated into their diskdrake tool)

sireasoning
03-24-2003, 09:15 AM
I just thought of something... I know that Mandrake's installation cd does pretty much what I have mentioned.... It will mount the entire fstab for the hard drive under /mnt and that includes lvm and regular partitions. Most of the work has pretty much already been done, I would think that it should not take too much more effort to have it knoppix'd.