PDA

View Full Version : Do i need a new distro?

sybariten
09-28-2004, 09:52 PM
Cheers, planning on doing a Knoppix-HD install here. It'll be the second time, but i've forgotten most about it so you'll probably see me asking lots of questions.
Anywho. First step. Its an old 150 mhz thinkpad this one's going to, and i've already checked that the machine can handle the liveCD. The CD i have is marked " v3.3, 2003-11-19".
Do you think i should concider getting something newer?
If so, are there torrents, for a nice download ?

cheers!

j.drake
09-28-2004, 10:37 PM
Actually, many people recommend kanotix for a hd install.

As for 3.4 and 3.6, I like them better, and they have some new features not found in 3.3. OTOH, both 3.4 and 3.6 have a two-kernel arrangement that could cause some problems. So yes, I think I'd update.

Have you given any thought to a poor man's install (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/PoorMansInstall)? Since 3.3, a lot of enhancements have been made, including a new process that allows for booting from the windows partition without a floppy or anything else. You can now boot directly from the ISO file.

jd

sybariten
09-29-2004, 12:01 AM

Ah yes... i've spoken to the authorof that one ... but didnt really dare to ask about it since i figured there could be some rivalry or something between the distros :)
Is kanotix as well-supported as knoppix? or perhaps its very similar to knoppix àfter all?

As for 3.4 and 3.6, I like them better, and they have some new features not found in 3.3. OTOH, both 3.4 and 3.6 have a two-kernel arrangement that could cause some problems. So yes, I think I'd update.

Have you given any thought to a poor man's install (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/PoorMansInstall)? Since 3.3, a lot of enhancements have been made, including a new process that allows for booting from the windows partition without a floppy or anything else. You can now boot directly from the ISO file.

jd

I've heard about it... i have a friend that told me he was running knoppix from an ISO residing on the very HD, i didnt believe my ears ... i guess thats what you mean ?
Well, its probably a good solution for some people, but i cant really see the need as i dont have anything i need on the windows disk so i might just aswell wipe it. Its a pretty fresh win install so if i want win back, i could reinstall it with my Win98 CD.
Unless very problematic, which it surely wasnt the one time i did it, i'd rather go for HD install.

probono
09-29-2004, 01:42 AM
And I will probably start recommending Kanotix for poor man's as well. Working printer drivers, working Kernel 2.6, working nvidia 3d acceleration, I'm really very happy about BH8. And Kano listens to his users and integrates new features if they are reasonable.