PDA

View Full Version : Walkthrough for Linksys 801.11b Install?

Jameson
09-28-2004, 11:10 PM
(Haven't had the greatest luck in other forums so bare with me, *Slips on flame retardent body suit*)

Does anyone know of a very literal step-by-step guide for confugiring and saving that confuguration for an 802.11b Linksys PCMCIA wifi card? I've found some things that came close but I'm still pretty lost when it comes to most the terminology with anything outside of windows os's so you can see my delima. I haven't had much sucess with dual-booting so Knoppix has been my soluatin thus far, but if I can get this blasted card configured then I can forget the windows partition all togather (Or at least I hope *zips hood*) Thanks!

Jameson
09-30-2004, 12:06 AM
Bump

kelmo
09-30-2004, 01:15 AM
If you could just provide the specific model number to your card, the you can tell us what chipset it uses by looking here:-

http://www.linux-wlan.org/docs/wlan_adapters.html.gz

and then maybe you will able to get started on this problem.

Also doing a:-

$ lspci -v

and reporting the relevant info on the device may help.

Jameson
09-30-2004, 04:20 AM
Heres what I've gotten now -

Linksys - 802.11b - WPC11 v. 4 - Chipset is Realtek

sry but im on the way out the door

kelmo
09-30-2004, 10:41 AM
http://www.linuxvoodoo.com/resources/howtos/linksysv4/

Difficulty: hard

Please do some searches on the success with this card by ndiswrapper. Knoppix can help you install the drivers easily in that case.

Jameson
09-30-2004, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the replies Kelmo :D I'm going to try and tackle this tonite, provided it works will the "save setting & confuguration" after I get it running, then to keep it running after reboot I can just load the config every bootup? Right now I save most of my stuff on my thumbdrive and use "knoppix config=scan or knoppix config= mnt/sda1 Thanks again, this is the most help ive gotten with this yet.

kelmo
10-01-2004, 07:03 AM
Jameson,

Because you are running from the cd, ndiswrapper is your only choice that is feasable.

kelmo.