PDA

View Full Version : How can I start the KDE desktop after "KNOPPIX 2"

garyng
03-24-2003, 08:00 AM
The built-in XFree86 configuration doesn't have the correct XF86Config-4 for my Dell Inspiron 2500 so I need to search and grab some working ones from the internet and modify it.

I want to go the route "knoppix 2", make the necessary modification and start the desktop but don't know how to. Is it just 'startx' ?

Dave_Bechtel
03-24-2003, 08:22 AM
--Knoppix should be able to build a working .cfg file, as long as you pass some cheat codes at boot. On my latest install, I passed ' screen=1280x1024 xvrefresh=60 ' (i have a Sony multiscan 17" monitor with an old nvidia tnt 32mb video card) and got it work.

--Anyway, after ' knoppix 2 ' gets you to the root prompt...

Alt-F2 (switch to VC 2)
' su knoppix '
' startx '

The built-in XFree86 configuration doesn't have the correct XF86Config-4 for my Dell Inspiron 2500 so I need to search and grab some working ones from the internet and modify it.

I want to go the route "knoppix 2", make the necessary modification and start the desktop but don't know how to. Is it just 'startx' ?

garyng
03-24-2003, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the prompt help. I can now start the desktop after "KNOPPIX 2".

As for the cheat code, no it doesn't help at all. The problem lies in the "modeline" entries in the XF86Config-4 file. Obviously, the supplied skeleton one is not designed with LCD(at least not notebook LCD in mind). I can't even change it using the expert mode. I have to actually use "expert 2" in order to bring up the XF86Config then after getting the prompt, modified the generated /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file and put in the correct MODELINE for the display.

Then "startx" and now I am typing happily using Mozilla.

Dave_Bechtel
03-25-2003, 08:55 AM
1. Be sure to save your corrected XF86.cfg file somewhere (like on a floppy ;-)

2. Try booting with a framebuffer (boot: ' fb1024x768 ') and see if that works. I've had to use framebuffers on older laptops.

Thanks for the prompt help. I can now start the desktop after "KNOPPIX 2".

As for the cheat code, no it doesn't help at all. The problem lies in the "modeline" entries in the XF86Config-4 file. Obviously, the supplied skeleton one is not designed with LCD(at least not notebook LCD in mind). I can't even change it using the expert mode. I have to actually use "expert 2" in order to bring up the XF86Config then after getting the prompt, modified the generated /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file and put in the correct MODELINE for the display.

Then "startx" and now I am typing happily using Mozilla.