PDA

View Full Version : Newbee to Knoppix 3.6

andreas2000
09-29-2004, 02:31 PM
Hello everybody,

at first I want to excuse for my not perfect english - I'm from Austria an we have no kanguruhs :lol:

And here is my problem:

I want to test out Knoppix, because I can run it from CD without installing on my harddisk.

There are two computers which I want to get working with knoppix 3.6. At first there is my Samsung Notebook X30.
The Knoppix CD is booting and starting up, but I'm missing the wireless support and support for the wide screen - the wireless adapter is a mini PCI Intel Wireless LAN 2100 3B Adapter. By typing "iwconfig" I can see the adapter, but when running "wlcardconfig" and setting the correct values it is still not working. When I control the settings with "iwconfig" the only value that has changed is the WEP key. ESSID is still empty...

For the wide screen I'm searching a possibility to integrate the NVidia GeForce FX Go5200 to use the resolution of 1280x800.

The second machine runs as far very good - but there are two limitations: I cannot get the Asus PCI WL138g working and also I have troubles to install a Canon i850 printer. Are there any possibilities to solve my problems?

As I only want to install on HD when all things are working it is really necessary that all things are working with boot CDs for knoppix.

Is there more support for wireless if I boot Knoppix with kernel 2.6?

Thanks a lot for helping a newbee to Linux and Knoppix.

Greetings,

Andreas from Austria

PS: The only thing I've got working with linux is my FLI4L router - but this is really a simple thing ;-))