PDA

View Full Version : migrating from Windoze...need some advise

helios17
09-30-2004, 02:58 AM
A month ago, my network was hosed by a particularly nasty variant of bagle, Norton was asleep at the switch and did not bother to update their virus patterns on this pest until 80 hours after it showed itself...result, 36 hours of downtime reinstalling xp pro.

Since I have been researching/learning/trying linux. I have used Xandros/fc2 and 3/Mandrake/Suse 9.1 pro, and various other distros. I did a hd install of Knoppix 3.6 last night and I like what I see, however; I am now using Kanotix from cd and it seems just a bit more robust. One of my companies works with media research and it is imperative that my work stations be able to access news clips from web pages such as fox news. I found mplayer and its deb plug ins from the xandros forums work nicely in mozilla but have yet to get firefox to find the plug in...at any rate I need your advice.

of Knoppix and Kanotix, which of the two distros would you recommend. I know this a Knoppix forum but it seems there are many fans of Kanotix here. Although much of the software is not needed in my work, it is nice to have. I would appreciate your input.

thanx

skip

j.drake
09-30-2004, 01:40 PM
I have not used Kanotix, but I have used Knoppix for about a year and a half. What I read repeatedly is that Knoppix can hd install, but was not designed for that purpose. Kanotix is reportedly better suited to a hd install, in part because it is closer to pure Debian. Some users have also reported that Kanotix is a little faster in responding to user feedback. I don't know whether that's true, but I do know that there are still bugs in the current version of Knoppix that were reported three releases ago.

I personally don't use a hd install, and I love Knoppix for what I do. But if I were to do a hd install, I would look seriously at Kanotix.

jd